Candidates vie for council seats

With nearly 10 months before Athens residents hit the polls, Democratic political jockeying for an abundance of local positions is already off to an early start - with the May primaries just around the corner.

Three of the city's top Democrats - Mayor Paul Wiehl, Law Director Pat Lang and Auditor Kathy Hecht-will seek re-election.

Four current City Council members will also seek re-election, and a fifth will aim to take over the council's top job. Currently, all seven of the council's voting members as well as the council president are Democrats.

NOT RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION

Veteran 3rd Ward councilwoman Nancy Bain and current Council President Bill Bias have both announced they are not running for re-election. They join 2nd Ward councilwoman Sherry Coon, who made her announcement earlier this month.

While Bias said both Bain and Coon are exiting city politics in order to spend more time with their families, Bias added that he is giving up the council's leadership with another position in mind.

Bias, who also serves as chairman of the Athens County Democratic Party, is seeking nomination to one of two open seats on the Athens County Board of Elections.

Historically the chairs of both the Democratic and Republican parties have served on the board

said Bias, who took over control of the party last January.

But county Democrats have no intention of losing City Council's highest seat.

Current at-large councilman Jim Sands, who has served 12 years on Council, has thrown his hat into council's presidential race.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of years said Sands, who added he would be surprised if he has no challengers.

The council president is unique in that he or she serves in a primarily logistical position, only voting on issues in the case of a tie.

It requires someone who has experience in office Sands said. I'm the logical person to take the position.

WARD

Two of the council's four geographically determined seats are up for grabs, and a Democrat has already announced candidacy for each of them.

Jeff Risner, president of the Ohio Plein Air Society, announced earlier this month that he's going after the 2nd Ward seat being vacated by Coon.

Michele Papai, a member of the Athens City Board of Zoning Appeals, is seeking Bain's 3rd Ward seat.

Both 1st Ward councilman Kent Butler and 4th Ward councilwoman Christine Fahl are seeking re-election.

I think I have the support

Butler said yesterday. I realize

all in all

that the people I represent ... and I are not always going to see eye-to-eye on every issue. But I'm always willing to listen and look at every issue

she said.

AT-LARGE

At least five Democrats, including two Ohio University students, will vie for the council's three at-large seats.

At-large councilmembers Elahu Gosney, an OU graduate student, and Chris Knisely are also running for re-election.

Three challengers, including two OU students, will battle them for the council's three at-large seats.

Last week OU senior Nate Hall, president of the College Democrats, announced he will seek an at-large seat. This week, OU junior Ibriham Alassaf and Maxine Rantane, owner of Cycle Path Bicycle Shop, 104 W. Union St., also entered the race.

NO OPPOSING REPUBLICANS - YET

While county Democrats already have 13 declared candidates for 11 elected positions, Athens Republicans have yet to see a single candidate emerge.

We've got a couple of people thinking about it

but nothing definite

said Pete Couladis, chairman of the Athens County Republican Party.

Democratic leaders say they aren't exactly disappointed at the lack of GOP competition.

In general

competition is a great thing

Bias said. The Athens County Democratic Party has an embarrassment of riches. I don't know if there is going to be anybody on the Republican side but it looks like we're going to have some pretty good races even without them.

@ThePostCity