Sophomore Caroline Meyer competes in the 100-yard fly event during a meet against Youngstown State on Jan. 7.

Swimming & Diving: Ohio holds 2nd place after first day of MAC Championships

After the first day of the Mid-American Conference Championships, Ohio sits second after two events.

Miami is currently leading with 72 points, and the Bobcats follow close behind with 66.

"I'm really happy with what I saw today," coach Greg Werner said. "Any team wants to be first, but if you can't be first, second is where you want to be."

Miami won the first event of the night, the 200-yard medley relay, with a time of 1 minute, 39.68 seconds. This was a new MAC record as well as a new meet record, barely breaking the previous mark of 1:39.74 set by Buffalo in 2009.

Ohio placed third in the event with a time of 1:40.48, just .02 seconds shy of the school record set in 2010. Rachel Heim started off the race for the Bobcats with a split time of 25.49, Katey Brooks followed at 29.20, Amanda Cecere went third 23.82 and Annie Donovan finished it out 21.97.

"(The team) feels good because they performed well today. Miami just did a little better," Werner said. "We're excited as a team. We're riding high after a great performance tonight. I know we're walking out positive and with a lot of momentum."

Toledo won the 800-yard freestyle relay with a time of 7:13.85. Ohio came in second with a time of 7:18.55, also the second-best time in school history. Amanda Traylor began the first leg of the race with a time of 1:48.86, followed by Sarah Owen at 1:49.09, Stacey Huber at 1:49.27, and Annika Games brought up the end at 1:51.33.

The competition resumes today at 11 a.m. with the 500-yard freestyle prelims.

"We're excited. We're just two of 20 events down," said Werner. "Tomorrow is a brand new day."

@ThePostSports