Kamille Buckner, the starting forward for Ohio's women's basketball team poses for a portrait in one of Glidden's piano practice rooms. Buckner is currently a senior studying communications. (Katharine Egli | FOR THE POST)

Beats bond family: Ohio player hits all the right keys

Kamille Buckner has talent in her blood. One of her cousins was a finalist on American Idol and another won four Super Bowls. She grew up around some of the biggest names in music in the city where Michael Jordan became legendary.

With so many gifted people playing a part in her childhood, it seems natural to assume she is outspoken and open about her abilities.

But those who believe that don’t know “Millie.”

Through years of dedication, the senior from Chicago refined her craft on the maple floor of The Convo and the ivory keys of the piano.

“You think you know her, and each day it’s a new learning experience about who she is and what she’s capable of doing,” said her father, Raymond Buckner.

“She’s capable of doing things you think she may not be able to do.”

One of those things is moving up on the Mid-American Conference career blocked shots list. With three more blocks, she will move into third-place all-time in the MAC.

The youngest of five children, Kamille discovered the world of music years before she first picked up a basketball.

Her father and his seven siblings grew up in a music-centered home, and he later went on to work with artists such as Gladys Knight and the R&B group Earth, Wind & Fire. Raymond, a retired Cook County (Ill.) deputy sheriff, is currently working on his own record to be released later this year.

Kamille is related to members of the Staple Singers, the longtime gospel, soul and R&B group. She also is a cousin of renowned recording artist and former American Idol finalist Jennifer Hudson.

"The music thing is in (Kamille’s) genes,” Raymond said.

Some of his earliest memories of his daughter involve music. Both mentioned a favorite family photo of Kamille as a toddler.

“She’s on the keyboard in Pampers, and she’s playing piano. That kind of caught me,” Raymond said. “That was a very special moment.”

Every now and then her father would learn of a new talent. About the time she reached eighth grade, she taught herself how to read music.

“She asked me for some books that I had,” Raymond said. “She wanted to teach herself, and she did.”

Kamille’s musical tastes span many genres. She primarily plays at home with her family but brushes her skill aside as a mere pastime.

“We play around a lot at home, me, him and my brother do,” she said. “It’s a little hobby I like to enjoy.”

Even with Kamille away from home during her final year of college, Raymond recently learned about some drawings and paintings that his daughter had stowed away in her room.

“She goes in her room, don’t bother nobody. The next thing you know, she’s doing something,” he said. “No one goes in her room but Ma. I seen some of the artwork — one particular picture — and I was like, ‘Who did this?’”

In tune with the hardwood

One day when Buckner was about 8, her best friend from dance class invited her to a basketball clinic, where she fell in love with the game and joined a league.

“We were the only two girls there,” Buckner said. “It was like a thing that I just randomly picked up one day and really, really liked it and just continued to play throughout the years.”

Her father built a one-hoop basketball court behind their residence — for her brother, Kambium. Following the footsteps of their cousin, L.C. Greenwood of the Pittsburgh Steelers famous “Steel Curtain” defensive line, Kambium later focused on football and committed to the University of Illinois as a defensive end.

With a ‘home court’ for personal use, Kamille began taking her play more seriously. Her father helped her train, but soon she passed his skill level.

The first year she played, like most people, I didn’t know anything about girls’ basketball,” Raymond said. “Once I got used to it, I loved the games. I never missed one.”

She led her team at Whitney Young High School to three city titles and was named second-team all state as a senior.

At Ohio, Buckner quickly became known for her shot-blocking ability. She has led the team in blocks each of her four seasons and holds school records for the most blocks in a season (63) and career (188).

“I get chills, because when you see her jump, and you’re underneath her — literally, underneath her — it’s just like, ‘Oh my gosh!’” redshirt junior Tenishia Benson said. “It feeds our team so much energy and so much momentum to watch her do what she does best.”

On and off the court, Buckner continues to surprise those close to her. Blocking a shot unexpectedly or learning a new skill is not a question of ‘if’, but ‘when.’

“I believe she can, but I’ve never heard her sing,” Raymond said. “She has a passion for the game and for music.

“She’s a good one. Millie will surprise you.”

ms229908@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports