Ohio Gov. John Kasich speaks at the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce 97th annual dinner at the Canton Memorial Civic Center Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 in Canton, Ohio. Kasich was met by over a thousand protesters outside the building voicing their opposition to Senate Bill 5 which would curtail collective bargaining by public employees. (AP Photo/The Repository, Scott Heckel)

Ohio governor unveils budget proposal

Editor's Note: Attached below is the proposed state budget for fiscal years 2012 and 2013.

Despite speculation that Gov. John Kasich would reduce state support for public colleges and universities in Ohio, he has increased State Share of Instruction funding for next fiscal year, according to the state budget proposal.

The State Share of Instruction line item for the Board of Regents — the state’s higher education board — has increased by 2.7 percent, or $46.2 million, for next fiscal year, according to the budget blue book released by the governor’s office this afternoon.

Although the State Share of Instruction seems to have increased, the Board of Regents might see a decrease in its overall state support. Kasich’s budget document says “all funds” for the board will decrease by 10.5 percent, or $2.3 billion, next fiscal year.

State Share of Instruction funding helps keep the cost of tuition down and is the largest source of state support for public colleges and universities. Ohio University’s Athens campus received about $98 million in state funding this fiscal year, and the university has planned for a 10 percent — or $27 million — reduction in state funding next fiscal year.

Kasich had to fill a projected $8 billion hole in next fiscal year’s state budget caused by the absence of one-time federal stimulus money. OU's share of this federal stimulus money was $15 million.

“We did not take an approach of just cutting,” Kasich said at a press conference earlier today, adding that basic state aid to higher education increases.

Kaisch’s biennial budget draft must now be approved by the state’s legislature before it can go into effect.

Ohio State University President Gordon Gee released a statement this afternoon praising the governor’s proposal.

“I am grateful to Governor Kasich, whose proposed budget reflects … the understanding that higher education and our state’s long-term strength are inextricable linked,” Gee said in the statement. “… Now more than ever, it is clear that our shared future lies in sustained investment in education, creativity, and innovation, all of which directly fuel economic growth.”

OU administrators, including Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding, will respond to governor's budget during a press conference at 7:30 tonight.

“We’re still in the process of evaluating the governor’s proposal this afternoon,” said Becky Watts, chief of staff to OU President Roderick McDavis.

The university is still waiting to confirm information contained in the budget proposal with the governor’s office, Watts said.

Although OU might see an increase in State Share of Instruction funding next year, Kasich's budget proposal eliminates funding for OU’s Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs. The school received $326,000 from the state this fiscal year, which is 12 percent of its total budget.

“When there is a zeroing out of a line like that … what the university has to do is determine how best to continue to support that particular program or college as part of the state funding the university receives in total,” Watts said.

Kasich’s budget also continues the 3.5 percent cap on tuition increases that former Gov. Ted Strickland implemented. OU raised tuition by 3.5 percent this year, and university officials have said that a tuition increase is likely for next school year as well.

Kasich is hosting a town hall meeting at 6 p.m. in Columbus to discuss his budget proposal. Tickets were available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis, but the speech will also be broadcast online at ohiochannel.org.

Board of Regents officials were unavailable for comment. Former Chancellor Eric Fingerhut resigned earlier this month — his last day was March 13, and new Chancellor Jim Petro will not be sworn in until Thursday.

Check The Post's website throughout the evening for more budget updates.

pe219007@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus