Ohio infielder Wes O'Neill tags out a Xavier player Wednesday at Bob Wren Stadium. The Bobcats lost 7-5 and will play at Western Michigan tomorrow. (Alex Goodlett | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Baseball: New game plan makes success a steal

Not too long ago, stealing bases was the last thing on coach Joe Carbone’s mind.

With his lineups stocked with high-powered hitters such as Marc Krauss, Gauntlett Eldemire and Robert Maddox, Carbone’s priority was keeping runners on base for when they came up to bat.

“Why take the chance of a runner getting tagged out stealing,” the reasoning went, “when more often than not, Krauss or Eldemire would hit him home anyway?”

Playing it safe worked out well for the Bobcats. In 2009, Krauss, Eldemire and Maddox combined for 61 home runs and 181 RBIs. Last season, Eldemire and Maddox hit a total of 37 home runs and 133 RBIs.

“I didn’t run guys when (Eldemire) and Robert, Krauss or (Jared) Yakubik were up the last few years,” Carbone said. “They had a good chance of hitting the ball out of the ballpark or driving it in the gap.”

But Eldemire, Maddox, Krauss and Yakubik all left Ohio via the MLB Draft. And without those powerful bats in their lineup, the Bobcats’ philosophy on the base paths underwent a change.

Without any premier sluggers, and with the introduction of new bats that have less pop and power, the Bobcats have become more aggressive on the bases. This season, they have pulled off double steals and hit-and-runs.

“We’re going now,” Carbone said. “I’m not holding anybody back like we did the last few years.”

Leadoff hitter Ethan Newton leads the team with 13 steals. As a team, Ohio has 26, on pace to eclipse its 41 stolen bases from 2010.

“If we get Newton on and (Bryan) Barnes on, we’re going to steal probably,” Carbone said. “We’ll do some hit-and-runs with Taylor Emody, and some other guys who make good contact. When that presents itself, we do try to do that.”

To optimize runners’ chances of stealing safely, Carbone and the assistant coaches time the pitcher and make sure runners steal on off-speed pitches rather than fastballs.

Carbone, who acts as Ohio’s third-base coach, also trusts some base runners such as Newton to pick the spots in which to steal.

“The players give me the sign if they think they’ve got his move and they feel they can steal,” Carbone said. “It’s more or less, ‘I’ve got a good read on his motion.’ I’ll give them the sign back, ‘Okay, go ahead, you’re on your own.’”

nm256306@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports