Distinct manshake means more than just manliness

Shaking a man’s hand is like reclining in a massaging La-Z-Boy chair: strong, supportive and ergonomic.

The manshake is important. It conveys confidence in any environment and well-developed interpersonal skills. To mis-shake a hand is to ruin an evening.

Hand size matters less than technique. The bigger the hand, the more care required for a solid shake. Big, meaty hands that just fumble and squeeze are not the hands of a man. Precision and careful placement allow hands of any size to guarantee a great first impression.

Think relaxed confidence. Grabbing too early is a rookie mistake, and you don’t get to enjoy the entire hand. Move with care and precision; just the tip is never enough for a good shake.

Firmer is better. We are not trying to slap each other with fish. Go in with the intent of having a solid grip, but then match the other person’s intensity. Remember, if only one of you is into it, both of you will leave unsatisfied.

The angle matters. If both parties approach from different angles, people are going to end up confused and with their fingers locked awkwardly. Be clear in your approach to ensure maximum shakedness.

Men go in strong and with control. The extra few seconds of a controlled approach allow the other party to reposition and prepare for one powerful handshake.

I usually just go in for the “single pump” — a classic that consistently produces great results. I have also seen the “Small, Big” and the “one-two-three-done” used quite effectively.

Three seconds is the difference between shaking hands and holding hands. Don’t just get in and get out, but don’t linger. Finding the perfect duration is an exercise in endurance and empathy.

A handshake is not a wrestling match. You don’t win if you pin your opponent. Think of it as a partnership; you both need to contribute if you plan on leaving happy.

You don’t need to rush the shake. Premature shake-ulation is a common problem that men avoid with patience. Take your time; learn his/her name; smile, then shake. A rushed handshake is unacceptable, and a handshake put off too long is a handshake that will never happen.

Most importantly, relax. Everyone shakes hands. It doesn’t matter if it is your first handshake or your 362nd — if you respect yourself and the other person, you can’t go wrong.

Men: strong, firm, clean.

— Alex Bill is a sophomore studying psychology. Ask him about man stuff at ab279708@ohiou.edu.

@ThePost