Ohio quarterback Phil Bates gets sacked by a Troy player Dec.19,2010 in The Superdome. Ohio lost to Troy 21-48.

Football: Quarterbacks split snaps in scrimmage

After Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage, quarterbacks Tyler Tettleton and Kyle Snyder might consider applying for jobs at FedEx. Whether by air or by ground, the package was delivered.

Tettleton and Snyder evenly split time in the 60-play simulated game, with Tettleton racking up impressive figures with his right arm and Snyder covering valuable real estate with his feet.

“I thought that there was some good individual performances, really, on both sides of the ball,” coach Frank Solich said. “I’m satisfied with where we’re at with it, with the way we’re operating.”

Tettleton took the offensive reigns at the start of the scrimmage but opened his first drive with an incompletion. Two plays later, he was “sacked” on a two-hand tap — tackling quarterbacks is a no-no in spring scrimmages — but later connected with wide receiver Tyler Futrell for a five-yard catch.

During his next few possessions, Tettleton completed eight consecutive passes for 182 yards and three touchdowns. Redshirt freshman Chase Cochran pulled in a 22-yard touchdown pass, and on the next drive, Tettleton found redshirt senior running back Joey Inks streaking down the right side of the field for a 62-yard completion and another trip to the end zone.

The third touchdown pass went to a wide-open Derek Roback, playing in just his second practice at tight end after switching from quarterback.

“He’s a very bright guy and a complete football player,” Solich said. “He’s a physical guy. He’s got excellent hands, excellent speed. From the quarterback spot, he knew all the signals, and so he was able to line up and really execute at it, kind of an amazing level for a guy that’s only been there two days.”

Tettleton finished the day 10-for-13 for 183 yards and three touchdowns. He connected with a different receiver on each completion.

“I just feel comfortable with the guys up front and the guys outside catching the ball,” Tettleton said.

Snyder made most of his noise with his cleats. He ran for 52 yards on eight carries, including a 32-yard dash to put the Bobcats inside the 20. He completed three of his seven pass attempts, the most stunning of which was a one-handed snag by true freshman Landon Smith.

“Last season, I was a little uncomfortable on stuff,” Snyder said. “This year, I’m really sure of everything. The offensive stuff is running smooth. We’ve got younger guys making plays out there and everything.”

Redshirt senior Curtis Meyers led the defense with five tackles, including one for a loss. Three other Ohio players had four tackles.

The scrimmage was untimed, but referees enforced play by throwing a few yellow flags when warranted. None of those penalties was issued for delay of game, thanks largely to the fast-paced offense implemented this spring.

Bates might be available after spring game

Redshirt senior quarterback Phil Bates has been sidelined for the first two weeks of spring practice, but Solich said Bates might take some snaps during the camp’s final week.

Bates had surgery on his right shoulder during the offseason, and his doctor has not cleared him for contact. He began throwing with receivers last week away from the main practice action.

“He might be able to start getting some throws in the last week,” Solich said. “He won’t have any contact of course, but he can at least start getting throws in.”

Bates split time with Boo Jackson in 2010, completing nine of 23 passes for 178 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions. He rushed for 519 yards on 72 attempts with three touchdowns.

ms229908@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports