Track: Clear head paves way for athlete's success

If there is one thing Lauren McCullough thinks about when she steps in the circle, it’s don’t think about anything.

Typically, athletes try to let muscle memory take over. As a thrower, this is exactly what she wants.

“When I enter the circle, I have no clue what is about to go through my head,” McCullough said. “If I am lucky, it is absolutely nothing.”

Throughout the week, McCullough prepares diligently. When it comes to meets, McCullough said all she can do is relax and hope the preparation pays off.

“That is always when I have my best throws — when I stop thinking,” McCullough said.

McCullough learned from one of Ohio’s best field athletes, Bahiyjaui Allen. The biggest thing she took from Allen is not to let the last throw become bothersome.

“She was always able to realize it’s over, and all I can do is have a better throw next time,” McCullough said. “She was an amazing athlete and to combine that with mastering the mental aspect of throwing, well, you can see what happens just by looking at our record boards.”

Armed with that advice, the goal is improvement each day. McCullough added that competition from others pushes her, but that she mostly competes against herself.

Throws coach Nick Pero fuels improvement by giving McCullough and the other athletes only a few things to work on with each practice. Too many things to work on can become frustrating for them, he said.

“I know a lot of coaches throw 100 things at you that you are doing wrong and critique everything that is wrong with your throw, but that is not coach Pero’s style,” McCullough said. “I know for myself, I just get frustrated if I have too much to focus on.”

Ohio will put the mental preparation to the test in this weekend’s Ohio Women’s Team Challenge, the first home meet of the outdoor season. The meet will take place all day tomorrow at Goldsberry Track.

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports