Volleyball: Tournament aims to raise 'volleyball IQ'

After an offseason of preparation and a few weeks of practice, the volleyball team steps onto the court this weekend with an attitude of improvement over victory.

The Bobcats travel to Blacksburg, Va., tomorrow to play Charlotte, Duke and Virginia Tech. The exhibition games mark Ohio’s first competition since a 3-2 loss to Duke in the NCAA Tournament Dec. 4.

Coach Ryan Theis said the tournament offers the opportunity to test the Bobcats against tough competition in a situation where getting better ranks higher than winning.

“The team that will go 4-0 at this event Saturday is most likely the highest volleyball IQ team because there is no scouting reports; there is no set plan of attack,” Theis said. “It’s really just how you play on the fly.”

Ohio has set specific goals for the spring season. Theis said the Bobcats want to be more of a threat to scoring points and learn to make adjustments when the team is out of position during a play. The beginning of the spring season has offered Theis the mentality of learning first and has kept it as his main focus.

“What I look for here is good play when things are breaking down and our ability to put ourselves in better positions to win games,” Theis said.

The team spent the offseason in open-gym, organization games that the players led. The coaches were limited to two hours per week with the team during the offseason. As the spring season begins, the team has rejoined for practice intent on improving on the fall.

Several players have shifted to new positions but have adjusted well. Katie Post has become a dual threat by playing two positions, Theis said.

“With this particular group, we’ve been trying to develop them as all-around players and improve their volleyball IQ,” Theis said.  “This is really a learning phase.”

Theis stressed that this time of year is not about winning but making sure the players and the team move in the right direction.

mb832409@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports