Women's Golf: Bobcats finish 5th after starting strong

Under normal circumstances, a fifth-place finish would be a welcome sight to the Bobcats — except when entering the final round in second place, that is.

The Bobcats fell three places on the final day and had to settle for a fifth-place finish in the Lady Colonel Classic last weekend in Richmond, Ky.

“We played well all-around but we need to get better around the greens. Putting was pretty difficult,” coach Kelly Ovington said. “We’re going to work pretty hard on short game this week.”

Even with Ohio’s drop to fifth, its shooting of 70-over-par 934 coupled with a match play win in last weekend’s Spring Challenge Cup, the Bobcats are in the midst of their best success all season long.

“I think the girls are realizing more and more as the season goes along and as the years have progressed that they’re very capable of shooting low 70s and consistently,” Ovington said.

Megan Weaver shot a team-best 15-over-par 231, which tied her for 17th overall.

Saturday the Bobcats finished second in their best start of the season in a stroke play event, as they shot an opening-round 16-over-par 304.

On the day, junior Meryl Weaver was tied for fourth after shooting a blistering 2-over-par 74, in which she sank two birdies and made 12 pars.

Ohio was also joined by Mid-American Conference foes Toledo and Bowling Green in the event. With the MAC Tournament only two weeks away, the Bobcats saw a preview of what to expect at the conference tourney.

“I think it’s a good indication of how everyone’s progressing and where we’re going to have to compete to break into that top half of the field,” Ovington said.

Morehead State won the tournament with a 37-over-par 901 and one of its own took home the individual title. Emma Jonsson won the event shooting a 4-over-par 220.

pm312207@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports