Women's Golf: Ohio ready to chip-in for match-play tourney

Despite not finishing as strong as they wanted to in last week’s University of Cincinnati Spring Invitational, the Bobcats are confident heading into this weekend’s event.

Ohio travels to Fishers, Ind., to participate in the Spring Challenge Cup at The Hawthorn’s Golf & Country Club starting tomorrow.

“I think we have a good chance,” coach Kelly Ovington said. “The girls are playing pretty well right now and if the weather cooperates, I definitely think we should see some success.”

The Spring Challenge Cup will be in a match-play format, as opposed to the traditional invitational format that fills most of the Bobcats’ schedule. Coach Ovington said she believes the match-play format will be a nice change for her team.

“It’s such a great format playing match play,” Ovington said. “I think it really brings out your competitive nature, and that’s one reason we do this event is to get them to push each other and it is very team oriented.”

The Bobcats will look to improve on their short game this weekend, especially outside the green. Wedge problems have been nagging Ohio this season.

“As far as chipping, we need to just get our chips and our pitches a little bit closer therefore we won’t have to struggle with our putting quite as much,” Ovington said.

The Bobcats are coming off a 13th place finish in last weekend’s UC Spring Invitational. Erin Cahill and Megan Weaver finished as Ohio’s top players, tying for 32nd place in the event.

Ohio’s lineup for this weekend will include the six golfers who participated in last weekend’s event: Cahill, Weaver, Meryl Weaver, Sarah Tranelli, Jordan Fesh and Kara Brinkmann.

Ohio won the Spring Challenge Cup last year. The team defeated Bowling Green in a match-play round that saw the Bobcats earn a convincing 9-3 victory over the Falcons. That event was played at Longaberger Golf Club in Nashport, Ohio.

pm312207@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports