City Council: Hate crimes, marriage benefits on the ordinance list

Two future ordinances that could protect and expand the rights of minority groups were brought up at last night’s Athens City Council committee meeting.

The first future ordinance discussed at the committee meeting would benefit non-marital partners in Athens by allowing them to be listed in a domestic registry, said Paula Moseley, Athens Service Safety Director.

The registry would be available to all domestic non-martial partners who share a common residence, including those who do not have legal permission to wed, Moseley said.

“It would be open to same sex and opposite sex (couples),” she said.

To be a part of the registry, applicants would have to be non-related adults who are mentally capable of submitting an application, Moseley said.

The registry could help private and public institutions recognize domestic partnerships for purposes such as health insurance, picking children up from school and family packages for business services.

“It does not grant marriage,” said Councilman Jim Sands, D-at Large.

Those wishing to be a part of the registry would have to pay about $50, Moseley said.

Council members also discussed a future ordinance that could strengthen punishment for hate crimes.

“(The ordinance) adds and clarifies additional penalties,” Mosely said.

Hate crimes include menacing or criminal damage towards people by reason of race, color, religion or national origin, according to the ordinance.

“It is a quest to improve the community,” Butler said.

Both ordinances will have their first reading at next week’s council meeting and could be implemented by summer.

eb112807@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity