A former Ohio University football player died because of a blood clot in his lung, his father said Sunday.
Marcellis Williamson, 23, died last Wednesday night at Euclid Hospital in Euclid, Ohio. Following a Thursday autopsy, a Cuyahoga County Coroner’s Office spokesman said a full toxicology report would be completed before determining the cause of Williamson’s death.
But Williamson’s father, Brian Perkins, said Sunday afternoon that the cause of death was a blood clot in the lung. Perkins said the coroner’s office ran a toxicology screening, which came back negative. Williamson reportedly had no other symptoms, making it difficult to trace the clot’s origin.
“They took a sample to see if they could figure out where it came from,” Perkins said. “Without any trauma in any other areas, it was hard to determine where it came from.”
No further toxicology tests are planned at this point, Perkins said, and the family has finalized funeral arrangements. A 3 p.m. wake and 3:30 p.m. funeral will take place Saturday at Watson’s Funeral Home, located at 10913 Superior Ave. in Cleveland.
Perkins said he talked with coach Frank Solich about having the football team bused to Cleveland for the funeral. Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations Jason Corriher confirmed that members of the team would make the four-hour trip north by bus this weekend, but the number of players traveling has not been finalized.
“From coaches to players, just calling and asking, just letting us know anyway (we) need help they will be there and just to let them know,” Perkins said. “Well, we needed it, and they’ve been a tremendously supportive help.”
As of 4:15 p.m. Thursday, the Marcellis Williamson Memorial Fund had collected $6,708. The family set up the fund last Thursday to help pay for the funeral expenses.
“I would just like to thank everybody for their support and their concern, just all the love that they’ve shown our family through this time,” Perkins said.
Perkins said Williamson himself called 911 Wednesday afternoon. At about 4:30 p.m., Perkins was notified that his son was in the hospital but initially did not know why.