Post Endorsement: Patterson, Knisely, Hall earn nominations for at-large

With only three at-large council seats, it was a tough decision to narrow down the six Democratic candidates, but we endorse Steve Patterson, Chris Knisley and Nate Hall.

With no Republican contenders, we had to make sure we picked the three best candidates because whoever wins the Democratic primary essentially wins the

November election, unless some independent candidates throw hats into the general-election ring.

Patterson is a perfect candidate for a council that is rarely divided. He brings new ideas and is the new blood City Council needs.  He is deeply integrated in

Ohio University and the city, having served on Faculty Senate in various roles and growing produce for local restaurants.

He has an intelligent solution for encouraging economic development: technology. With no space for heavy industry, Patterson said he wants to build an environment for information technology by increasing wireless and fiber optic capabilities in the area. This would protect the city’s untouchable green space that many candidates stressed preserving.

To get rid of the perceived town-gown divide, Patterson said he would push for better neighborhood relationships. Patterson promotes getting to know your neighbors, holding neighborhood events, planting communal gardens and establishing neighborhood watches — one of his solutions for increasing safety.

Besides watches on campus and in neighborhoods, Patterson acknowledged lighting should be improved. He proposed a partnership with the Russ College of Engineering to create solar-powered lights in trouble spots throughout the city and campus.

On such contentious subjects as the noise ordinance and the ladder truck, Patterson was much on our side. He agreed that compromise is key and said the problem is a general annoyance for both residents and students.

In the case of the ladder truck, Patterson was against making students’ bear the burden, saying that it should come from the university, not student fees. With renovations planned for South Green, the residence halls will only get taller, adding to OU’s moral responsibility to help pay for the ladder truck.

Touting ideas that make sense and compromise we can agree with, Patterson is an excellent candidate for an at-large council seat.

Chris Knisely is along the same lines as Patterson. Working with OU and engaging in the local organizations gives her great experience to continue her council career.

In the case of student-resident relations, Knisely said a good compromise is coming for the noise enforcement policy, especially pushing back the clock-in to midnight each night. To improve relations, Knisely proposed City Council more actively reach out to the student senates and other student groups, which would help inform students on city problems and vice versa.

Knisely also offered some of the best solutions for multiple problems plaguing Athens. To encourage economic growth, Knisely wants to seek more partnerships with OU. Knisely touted Diagnostic Hybrids as an excellent example of such successful partnerships. She also expressed an interest in looking into tax incentives to promote more development.

Safety was key to our choosing Knisely. Like Patterson, Knisely suggested neighborhood watches, monitoring methods for police and lighting improvements. Creating a long-term improvement plan, finding the worst areas, looking at environmentally friendly lighting, and partnering with the university and Athens Uptown Business Association were all ideas Knisely put forth.

Much like Patterson, Knisely’s relationships and top-notch ideas are what secured our vote for her.

For our last spot, we had a tough decision to make, but in the end, we went with Nate Hall for his experience in working with council members previously and his insight as a student.

Despite being a student, Hall was knowledgeable about the city’s budget situation, understanding that improvement in certain areas might be tough to accomplish right away. He promised to protect police and firefighter jobs, but stressed a need for shared sacrifice.

In order to promote economic growth, Hall suggested better support of green energy. He proposed a tax credit to encourage people to use even on the resident level, thereby attracting green energy companies to Athens.

For town-gown relations, Hall said university officials and city officials could improve on their relationship with each other. He also encouraged more contact between students and permanent residents, a common theme among our candidate choices. Getting to know your neighbors can help with many situations such as safety but especially noise.

Hall agreed with the compromise Chief Pyle put forth at last week’s City Council meeting. He would be happy if it comes to pass, as would we.

In the case of the ladder truck, Hall made it a matter of safety. The university has a vast majority of buildings in Athens that require a ladder truck, so gives OU a moral responsibility to help pay in a way that does not burden students, Hall said.

Lighting was another safety matter Hall listed as a concern. Increased communication between the university, the city and American Electric Power would mitigate outages and ensure a timely replacement of burnt-out bulbs.

Hall is someone new, someone smart, but also someone with experience, which is why we think he would be a good fit for City Council.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.