Funds allocated for damages

Prompted by May flooding, more than $700,000 in state assistance will be sent to relief efforts in Southern Ohio — but Athens County will have to rely on separate outlets to fund damage totals.

In response to flash flooding that occurred on May 10 and 11 in Southeast Ohio, State Gov. John Kasich announced that individuals of Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence, Pike, Ross, Scioto and Vinton counties will receive a part of the $750,000 state assistance.

Athens County could receive emergency funds for road repairs and other damages to public property after a joint inspection Tuesday by the Ohio Emergency Management Agency and Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Tamara McBride, spokeswoman for the Ohio EMA.

The eligibility for funds depends on a formula that includes an estimation of damages that occurred, McBride said.

A threshold of almost $15 million, which is determined by Ohio’s population, must be reached across the state before funds can be distributed, McBride said.

Athens County has about $2 to 3 million in damages, and assessments are still in progress said Mike Canterbury, Athens County deputy engineer.

“I’m hopeful we get some help,” Canterbury said. “But I don’t see it happening.”

The majority of flood damage in the county occurred to roadways that were washed away or require debris removal, Canterbury said.

Flooding on Athens Township roadways caused damages of about $100,000, Canterbury said.

The state assistance program is intended for uninsured homeowners and renters with property damage, personal property damage and funeral expenses, according to an Ohio EMA news release.

The flash flooding across the region caused one death and significant damages to homes and businesses, according to the release.

Unlike Athens County, damage to personal property is eligible to receive funds in these seven counties, McBride said. Individuals requesting aid are offered low interest loans unless they are eligible, based on income, for the grant funds, she added.

rc348710@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity