Volleyball: Young team seeks continued wins in hopes of adding MAC, NCAA titles

Last year, shirts proclaiming Ohio volleyball’s prowess adorned bookstore windows.

The shirts asked customers how to spell Ohio volleyball. The answer? D-Y-N-A-S-T-Y.

After winning its third straight Mid-American Conference title and its eighth consecutive NCAA tournament berth, Ohio will try to continue those streaks this season.

Coach Ryan Theis said his team expects to be back in the NCAA tournament picture but will need to work to get there.

It’s hard work to keep a streak like that alive, but we have expectations to do it,” he said. “We just have to find out how we are going to get there, whether it is with an at-large bid or winning the conference tournament.

This season, there is a highturnover of players. There are 12 underclassmen on the team compared to just two seniors.

The team lost Sue Jacobi, Michelle Jantsch, Mandy Nichols and Meryl Bender to graduation, and the younger players will have to fill their roles.

Theis said he knows his team is young and will emphasize playing as a team.

A lot of time will be spent getting on the same page and learning what needs to be done to be successful,” Theis said.

Even though the team is one of the youngest in the country, Theis said veterans will be pushed for starting spots.

Freshman Bailey Karst will challenge junior Leah Petrovich to be the starting setter.

Kelly Lamberti is the most experienced freshman at playing the front and back rows,” Theis said.

He added that at any one time, three or four freshmen might be on the court. Exactly how much time they will play has yet to be determined.

The Bobcats return Lexie Hartnett, Katie Post and Faith Robins, all of whom were among the team leaders in kills per set and blocks on the team last season.

Getting back to the NCAA tournament will require navigating through a tough schedule.

In five of the first 10 matches, Ohio competes against Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Western Kentucky and Louisville. All of these teams made the tournament last year.

In the other five matches, the Bobcats will face other schools from major athletic conferences.

Theis said his team has to understand what it is like to play teams of that caliber, for competing against top programs is necessary to get back to the tournament.

As for conference play, Theis said it will come down to how teams are playing at the end and who is able to stay healthy.

Last year, Northern Illinois won the MAC West and was Ohio’s competition in the conference championship game.

This year, a number of teams could win that division.

There is a strong chance that Ball State will win the MAC West this year,” Theis said.NIU is right there, though.”

Theis added Miami was supposed to finish near the top of the MAC East last year but ended the year in fifth place.

Meanwhile, Akron was picked to finish last but instead came in second in the division.

We call it the wacky MAC-ey,” Theis said.

Ohio will compete in its green and white scrimmage Aug. 21 and open regular season play at Tennessee Aug. 26

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports