GOP's redistricting plan would split Athens County

Local Democrats are criticizing state Republicans’ art skills as the GOP’s redistricting proposal comes to a vote.

Under the Republican proposal, which is set for a vote on the House floor today, Athens County would be split between two congressional districts as it has in the past.

All but two Athens County townships would be in the same district.

The two outliers, located in the 6th Congressional District, are Carthage and Troy townships. Last year, Carthage and Troy voted for Republican candidate John Kasich, but the three townships that border them voted for Democrat Ted Strickland.  

“It’s pretty apparent: Redistricting was done to negate the

influence of democratic-leaning Athens County voters,” said Bill Bias, Athens County Democratic party chairman. “On the Republican side, it’s ‘mission accomplished.’ ”

If the proposal were passed, Carthage and Troy would stay in a district that elected Rep. Bill Johnson, R-6th, to Washington, D.C., but the rest of Athens County would join or stay in a district that elected Rep. Bob Gibbs, R-18th.

“(Republican congressmen) get a lot of abuse from the wacko groups in our county,” said Pete Couladis, Athens County Republican party chairman, referring to the county’s treatment of Republicans. “You don’t see that a lot in other counties. (There’s a lot of) nastiness that comes out of this county.”

Couladis, however, is not totally satisfied with the proposal because it would splinter the county.

“I would have preferred to have the county intact and not so scattered around,” he said. “I’m hoping it will be in one district as much as possible.”

But Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-92nd, believes the congressional redistricting favors the GOP and fears when the state reapportionment is released Sept. 23, it could yield an equally unfair map.

“It looks like they wanted to keep the majority of Athens out of the 6th,” she said. “This proposal is intensely gerrymandered. (The redistricting process) was very rushed and very political.”

The creation of districts that lean strongly toward one side or the other would lead to more partisan politics, which are not in line with Ohioans’ moderate beliefs, Phillips said.

“Ohioans have been shut out of this process. (This) proposal does not represent the input they have received.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu