Proposed Ohio House and Senate districts

(Graphic by Linley Myers)

Is Southeast Ohio getting new Statehouse districts?

If proposed state apportionment changes are approved, a new state senator would represent Athens County and the current house district would be drastically changed.

Under a plan submitted by its joint secretaries, the Ohio Apportionment Board has redrawn the 92nd House District into the 94th, which still includes all of Athens and Meigs Counties, but none of Morgan County. The proposed district now includes Wards one, two, and four of the city of Marietta, as well as the Southwest part of Washington County.

The Apportionment Board consists of the governor, the secretary of state, the state auditor, and one legislative Democrat and Republican.

The proposed senate district that includes Athens County is a completely new district, stretching from Carroll to Meigs County with no incumbent state senator to represent it.

“I think this has been a very fair process this time,” Mike Dittoe said, a spokesman for Ohio House Speaker William G. Batchelder. “Quite frankly, apportionment board representatives are bound by strict state and constitutional laws to make these districts fair and competitive."

Both state Democrats and Republicans have submitted plans to the Apportionment Board, he added. The Republican plan was voted to be the most constitutionally sound.

“Overall I’m very pleased with Debbie Phillips’ district,” Bill Bias said, the Athens County Democratic Party Chairman, referring to the proposed 94th district.

The proposed district includes a chunk of Washington County that only favored former Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland by .2 percent over Ohio Gov. John Kasich in the 2010 gubernatorial election.

Bias also said he believed Democrats have a good chance of winning in the new 30th senate district adding, “I don’t understand the Republican logic behind it.”

The newly drawn Senate district added five counties that all voted for Strickland in the 2010 election, including Athens, Monroe, Noble, Washington and Meigs counties.

“I look forward to getting to know the people in Marietta,” Phillips said in regards to the proposed district. “It is still possible that there will be some amendments … but the map overall presents some challenges (for Democrats).”

Last year the Ohio legislature failed in an attempt to make the reapportionment process more bi-partisan, Phillips said, adding it is currently a “highly partisan process.”

However, she remains optimistic going into the next election.

“I think the Republican majority has overreached. They’ve been pushing an extreme agenda,” she said. “I believe they’re losing support from people who used to support them in the past.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu