Ohio midfielder Toye Famodu dribbles past a Nothern Illinois defender during the Oct. 10, 2010 game at Chessa Field. The Bobcats defeated the Huskies 3-2. (Maddie Meyer | FILE)

Soccer: Bobcats to tackle Morehead State, Ohio State this weekend

Ohio and Ohio State play their home games less than 90 minutes apart, making them neighbors — not friends.

The Bobcats’ game against the No. 22 Buckeyes Sunday might overshadow Friday’s game against Morehead State, but both contests offer a chance to build on the style of play coach Stacy Strauss expects from her players.

“I think the key for Morehead is actually playing our game,” Strauss said. “We’re not overly concerned with what they are going to do or how they are going to play. We need to just ensure that the way we have been attempting to play since Aug. 3 actually comes into play.”

That style of play puts emphasis on ball control and solid defense. Ohio (2-3) struggled to protect the ball during its 3-0 loss to Cleveland State last weekend.

Ohio State (4-2) will challenge the Bobcats in a different way. A few Bobcats have played with or against some of the 15 in-state players on the Buckeyes’ roster. Ohio State reached the semifinal of last year’s NCAA tournament.

When Strauss and her staff scout the Buckeyes, they not only use the players’ knowledge and video footage, but also the schools’ proximity to see the team up close.

“We have been able to go and watch them a couple times, and it has been a benefit to be so close geographically,” Strauss said.

While the Bobcats and Buckeyes might recruit the same players, many times the thought of playing in the Big Ten instead of the Mid-American Conference lures players to Ohio State’s program rather than to Athens.

“If they are looking for a college town environment, then that gives us an advantage,” Strauss said. “Funding is the biggest difference. It’s a whole other animal in terms of what they have and their facilities and their funding. But it is what it is. It’s not an excuse, but that’s what it is.”

Strauss does not equate funding to superior skill. She said Ohio might have an advantage against its in-state counterpart.

“I have a lot of respect for them, they have great soccer players, but I think that there are players that we have at certain positions that I think are better than their players at those positions,” Strauss said.

The Bobcats have not put two wins together yet this season, but that could change against the Eagles and Buckeyes. Strauss expects focus, consistency, discipline and attention to detail from her players.

“They need to do the right thing regardless of the weather, the opponent, how tired they are,” Strauss said. “That is what I expect of them, and that is what we had on Friday (against Marshall) and what we didn’t have last Sunday (against Cleveland State).”

The Bobcats are 1-2 all-time against the Buckeyes. Ohio State won the last meeting, 2-1, in double overtime four seasons ago.

The Ohio State game is one that the staff and players mark on their calendars. While Ohio State might have an edge on paper, Strauss made it clear that her players are ready for the challenge.

“On any given day any team can win, especially in soccer,” she said.

mb832409@ohiou.edu