Students becoming more dependent on technology in the classroom, study says

Imagine an Ohio University student making it through an entire day without checking his or her phone once.

According to a study recently conducted by Wakefield Research and e-textbook seller CourseSmart, most college students rely on technology to get by in the classroom.

The results of the study, which had a 500-student sample size, showed that 73 percent of students said they would not be able to study without some form of technology. Furthermore, 38 percent said they could not go more than 10 minutes without checking their laptops, smartphones, tablets or e-readers.

Simbo Odunaiya, senior research engineer at OU, said he wasn’t at all surprised by the data, especially when it came to the frequent use of e-textbooks on college campuses. According to the study, 63 percent of students said they have read an e-textbook at least once.

“E-books are becoming a trend, especially because of the high cost of textbooks,” Odunaiya said. “Most people would rather read a book online than read a textbook, because they are much cheaper.”

Before the influx of technology, the only materials many college students needed for class were their textbooks, spiral notebooks, folders and pens or pencils.

Today, however, many OU students are busy printing their class schedules online, charging their iPhones and stuffing their laptops into messenger bags.

This recent trend doesn’t go only for students. Professors also are moving toward the digital era with their increased use of websites such as Blackboard, Aplia and Google Docs. Professors also keep in touch with their students through emails and social-networking sites such as Twitter.

The study showed the Internet was students’ preferred method for establishing communication with their instructors, with 91 percent citing email as their primary method of asking for help.

“An advantage of technology is that it gives students more practice and information on how they are doing in classes,” said Jan Palmer, associate professor of economics.

Technology is influencing the way OU students learn each day. Many classrooms are filled with students using laptops, digital recorders and other devices to help them take notes. The study showed that 70 percent of the students surveyed said they use keyboards instead of paper to take notes in class.

The increased use of smartphones is also apparent on campus. While walking to class, many OU students sport earbuds and frequently glance down at their touchscreens to text, check their emails or scroll through their many pages of apps.

With all but 2 percent of the students surveyed owning a digital device, these gadgets help most students get through their daily routines.

“I use my Kindle to read USA Today, and it is a lot more convenient than picking up the newspaper at the store,” said Joe Jackson, a sophomore studying journalism. “All you need is a wireless Internet connection, and you’re set.”

Many OU professors now allow students to download e-textbooks for their courses.

Taylor Petras, a freshman studying broadcast journalism, said this option is available in her Italian class.

“It is extremely convenient to have the homework and entire textbook online,” Petras said.

According to the study, e-textbooks are becoming an increasingly popular substitute for traditional hardcover textbooks.

“I definitely think e-books will become much more popular,” Odunaiya said, “because not only can you read them on the computer, you can also read them on a handheld and have them right with you in class.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu