Volleyball: 'Cats reverse their point-runs luck through 'unconventional' methods

Ohio has been the victim of opponents’ point runs in several of its matches this season, but the Bobcats strung together a few runs of their own to defeat Kent State in straight sets.

“(The Golden Flashes) are a different team to play because of their style,” coach Ryan Theis said. “We had to get runs in unconventional ways.”

Theis said Kent State employs a strategy in which hitters attack from different zones. The attack makes it difficult to keep track of where the volleyball is going, which makes blocking difficult.

Despite Kent State’s unfamiliar style, redshirt sophomore Lexie Hartnett said Ohio was able to play effectively.

“They definitely bring a different style. Their sets were quick,” Hartnett said. “We just controlled the ball on our side of the net.”  

In the first set, a mix of blocks by Ohio (11-6, 3-0 MAC) and unforced errors from Kent State allowed the Bobcats to stretch their lead to six points at 20-14. The teams traded points, but Kent State came within five.

A kill by freshman setter Bailey Karst and two consecutive attack errors by Maigan Larsen sealed a Bobcat victory in the first game.

The second set brought some more back-and-forth action, but with the score at 7-6 in favor of Ohio, the Bobcats got into a similar rhythm as the first game.

A kill by senior Katie Post started Ohio on six-point run. The Golden Flashes recovered to take the next three points but it would not be enough.

Ohio stretched its lead to 19-9 and eventually closed the game out to take a two-set lead in the match.

Kent State stayed close throughout what proved to be the final set of a Bobcat sweep. Ultimately, Kent State committed attack errors, and Ohio capitalized on them.

The Bobcats will play their first game against a MAC West opponent when they take on Eastern Michigan Saturday.

Theis characterized the teams in the MAC West by their defense.

“The MAC West is terrific at defense,” Theis said. “ They dig a ton of balls.”

The top four conference leaders in digs all play in the West. Western Michigan leads the way with 161 digs in MAC play followed closely by Eastern Michigan with 154 digs.