Ohio middle blocker Katie Post jump-serves against Miami Saturday at the Convocation Center. The Bobcats swept the Redhawks, 3-0. Ohio plays next at Kent State Sept. 29. (Susannah Kay | FOR THE POST)

Volleyball: Ohio volleyball opens up MAC play with a pair of victories

The Bobcats clipped the wings of two fowl opponents and swept the opening weekend of conference play.

Ohio (10-6) began Mid-American Conference play at The Convo with a pair of convincing victories, defeating undefeated Bowling Green Friday and archrival Miami Saturday. The team has won each of its last four outings.

The Bobcats swept the Falcons 25-17, 25-19, 28-26. Ohio jumped out to an early 13-5 lead in the first game and never looked back. The team won the set in dominating fashion, staving off a late Bowling Green rally.

“I was really pleased with how we came out and played in the first set,” coach Ryan Theis said.

Things got a little more competitive in the second, as Bowling Green twice pulled within a point. Senior Katie Post’s kill late in the game swung the momentum back in Ohio’s favor. Through the first two sets, the Bobcats did not relinquish the lead.

The third game was even closer, as the Bobcats went down 11-6 before rallying. Post again contributed timely plays for the Bobcats. Her block tied the set at 21, and a few plays later, her kill tied it at 23.

Theis saw room for improvement but was pleased with the comeback in the last set.

“I thought we didn’t respond well with a couple of different little things that we’ve been practicing, but overall I’m pretty pleased, especially with being down in the third set and pushing back to finish it in three,” Theis said.

Saturday night, an enthusiastic crowd watched Ohio sweep Miami 25-14, 25-20, 25-16. The match followed a very similar trend to the one Friday, but the Bobcats finished strong against the RedHawks.

Ohio again dominated the first set against Miami. Freshman Kelly Lamberti, Post, and redshirt sophomore Lexie Hartnett dominated in the front row, and the Bobcats took the game on a block from Post.

Things got much closer in the second set. The volleys got much longer and more intense until Lamberti finished the set off with back-to-back kills.

Emotions flew high in the third game, as Miami received three point penalties and spotted Ohio a 2-0 lead. The RedHawks rallied to tie it at five, but Ohio quickly responded to go up 10-5 and never relented.

Playing in the rivalry was a new experience for Ohio’s freshmen.

“The atmosphere with the rivalry was exciting but a little bit nerve-racking,” Lamberti said.

After turning in one of her best performances of the season with 18 kills, no one in The Convo seemed to be able to tell.

Freshman Bailey Karst contributed 35 assists in her first match against Miami. She finished the weekend with 67.

“Ryan was telling us about how it’s a big game and how they’re a big rival, but it was a lot more than I expected,” Karst said.

In both matches, Ohio’s dominant front line consistently deterred hitters, totaling 24.5 team blocks.

“It makes it really hard on opposing teams’ hitters when you can get four blocks in a set. They have to start trying things they aren’t comfortable with to score, and it forces errors,” Theis said. “Their body language changes after you get a block.”

As the preseason favorite in the MAC East, Ohio finds itself in good position after the first matches of conference play.

"We’ve got a long way to go,” Theis said. “It’s going to be a long road, but I certainly like our first step.”

as506610@ohiou.edu