Ohio’s Jessica Jue controls the ball during the Oct. 14 game against Kent State. Ohio won 2-0. The Bobcats will play Kent State again today. (Brien Vincent | For The Post)

Field Hockey: Bobcats avoid traps of fall festivities to stay on task

With Halloween weekend set to kick off here in Athens, the odds are probably good that most students are putting the final touches on costumes and not mentally preparing for games against Mid-American Conference foes.

But that’s exactly what the Bobcats (15-3, 8-0 MAC) will be doing, as they have a game today at Kent State and another Sunday against Central Michigan.

In between, the women on the team will likely participate in the small shindig Uptown, but coach Neil Macmillan said he trusts his first-place squad to make good decisions.

“We’ve had this several years,” Macmillan said. “The team sets their own curfew. They were going to get in touch with each other and then contact me when they’re all back home and safe.

“I think they realize that it’s Senior Day the following day, so in respect to the game they’ve got to make sure they do a good job of preparation.”

That Senior Day matchup comes against a Chippewas team that is in second place entering the weekend. That position is enviable because the squad to finish second gets a first-round bye in the MAC tournament.

Kent State (5-12, 3-5 MAC) is two games behind Central Michigan (5-3 MAC), so the Golden Flashes will be looking to upset Ohio today and bring down the Chippewas Sunday.

“They’re a good team,” Macmillan said of Kent State. “Their record isn’t indicative of how well they can play. They won the conference last year.

“They’ll be up for it. It’s always a battle, us and them. It’s always a good rivalry.”

At 4-5 in the conference, Ball State and Miami separate Central Michigan and Kent State in the standings. At the back of the pack is Missouri State, a team that might make things interesting for the Cardinals and RedHawks this weekend.

“It’s nice for us,” Macmillan said. “I haven’t even looked at any of the tiebreakers this year because we’re in a position where I haven’t had to worry about that.”

Of course, the Bobcats have yet to lose a conference game and will enjoy a first-round bye no matter what happens throughout the rest of the league. And although that accomplishment is certainly noteworthy, Macmillan said his team will celebrate only if and when it wins the MAC tournament.

But that doesn’t begin until next month, and there are two regular season games and a holiday left before it kicks off.

Earlier this week, Macmillan got into the trick-or-treating spirit, but his costume wasn’t as original as what will be seen on Court Street Saturday.

“I went dressed as a field hockey coach just finished from practice with my two boys downtown,” Macmillan said. “My two boys are both ninjas this year. … It’s a shame I won’t get to see all the other kids in the neighborhood going around. But work’s work, right?”

me811508@ohiou.edu