Ohio's Donte Harden looks downfield during a running play against the Ball State Cardinals at Peden Stadium, Athens, Ohio, on October 15, 2011. The Bobcats lost 23-20.

Football: Bobcats use off time to prepare for Temple Owls

Bobcats try to utilize time off

Twenty-four hours after his team’s 37-20 win against Akron, Ohio quarterback Tyler Tettleton was not celebrating the previous day’s win, but was instead preparing for a game 10 days away.

Following Saturday’s win, Tettleton had already turned his attention to Ohio’s midweek showdown with Mid-American Conference East Division leader Temple on Nov. 2.

“We’ll just play it by ear,” Tettleton said. “I know I’ll be in the film room starting Sunday to see what’s going on with Temple.”

Ohio’s routine of Saturday games has ended, as only midweek games remain on the schedule. The team will not practice until Thursday, six days before the Owls flock to Athens.

Running back Donte Harden said the team will use the off days to grow together.

With all the time spent together on the football field, Harden said it is important that the players establish a personal connection outside of football, as well.

“We’ve got a couple days off. We’re looking forward to spending time with each other,” he said. “We definitely bond off the field.”

Ohio controls its own destiny with Saturday’s results

Following losses from Temple and Buffalo last weekend, the Bobcats again control their own destiny in the MAC East.

Along with Ohio, each of the East Division teams remaining teams on the Bobcats’ schedule — Temple, Bowling Green and Miami — has two losses.

Four wins would propel the Bobcats to the MAC championship game. A loss would likely eliminate them from MAC East title contention.

With three conference wins, Temple remains percentage points above Ohio in the standings.

“With them losing, that’s not going to hurt them at all,” Tettleton said. “They’re going to come out and play the way they have all season, and we’re going to get a good look from them because they know what’s at stake and we know what’s at stake.

“It’s going to be a huge game on ESPN. I think we’re ready.”

With so much parity in the division, all seven teams remain as mathematical contenders.

“We know every team has us circled with red marker on their schedule,” Harden said.

“We really don’t worry about what’s going on within the conference. As long as we take care of business, we control our own destiny.”

The win against Akron brought Ohio’s record to 5-3 for the third-consecutive season.

Weekend off comes at opportune time for Ohio

After back-to-back losses put many Ohio fans in panic mode, Saturday’s results within the conference as well as the time off are a reason for optimism.

“The timing couldn’t be better for us,” Solich said. “Hopefully we’ll get a few guys back that had extensive injuries earlier in the year. We’ve accumulated a lot of nicks and bumps and bruises along the way.”

Many of Ohio’s defensive starters have injuries of various levels.

Solich said he expects cornerback Omar Leftwich to be at full speed by next Wednesday. He listed lineman Carl Jones as questionable and lineman Neal Huynh as very doubtful to be able to play against Temple.

ro137807@ohiou.edu