Jake Schany

Football: Ohio nabs Nebraska's top high-schooler

The Bobcats are about to get another big boost from the Cornhusker state.

Jake Schany, the No. 1 recruit from Nebraska according to ESPN.com, orally committed to play for Ohio. Schany is a 6-foot?2, 215-pound running back and linebacker who will likely play defense for the Bobcats. He chose Ohio over offers from Colorado and Tulane.

Last year, he set the single-season Blair High School record for tackles with 127. ESPN.com gave Schany three stars out of five and a scout grade of 77 out of 100.

His numbers have been just as eye-popping this year.

He has had 49 solo tackles and 28 assisted tackles so far on defense and has run for 803 yards on 84 carries despite missing a game because of an illness.  

Besides describing him as a quality person, Blair High School Activities Director Marty Rogers said Schany told him Ohio seemed like a great fit for him.

“The coaches there made a big impression upon him, and he feels good about it so I think it will be a great fit,” Rogers said.

Rogers said he has known Schany since his birth. He described the player as an exclusive talent because of his competitiveness.

“He goes 100 miles per hour from when the play starts till it stops,” Rogers said. “Very, very aggressive.”

Schany participated in the 2011 U.S. Army National Combine, where he completed the 40-yard dash in five seconds, had 19 reps on the bench press and showed off a 32-inch vertical leap. The jump put him seventh out of 49 linebackers.

“He’s one of those kids that you tell him what you want him to do and he’s very intelligent and he will do it,” Rogers said.

mk277809@ohiou.edu