Siblings John Mlynarski IV, right, and Andrew Mlynarski both came to Ohio University to hone their shared craft of golf. The brothers once played 218 holes in one day for charity. (DUSTIN LENNERT | Director of Photography)

Golf: Bobcat brothers swing for sib rivalry

Shooting for the moon is a lofty goal, and Bobcat senior co-captain John Mlynarski and his freshman brother Andrew aim to make birdie.

Growing up in St. Michaels, Md., with Harbourtowne Golf Resort right in their backyard, the two students studying sport management developed not just a love of golf but also a competitive relationship. John holds the amateur course record of 63 at Harbourtowne.

The Mlynarskis also had successful basketball careers at Saints Peter and Paul High School. John ranks 14th on the school’s all-time scoring list. Andrew sits, ironically, one spot behind in 15th.

Andrew is three years younger than John and, even though he described John as his best friend, he has always tried to gain an edge over his brother in sports.

“I knew coming up he was trying to beat some of my high-school records,” John said.

Though Andrew failed to beat him in all-time scoring in high school, he became the all-time leading rebounder.

The same sibling duo once played 218 holes of golf in one day, from sunup to sundown, raising $10,000 dollars for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Their father, John Mlynarski III, has been a golf professional at Harbourtowne for 25 years and had a large influence on the brothers. He spoke of watching Andrew winning a club championship after his brother had won four straight years.

“I just remember when it was all over and Drew had won, I saw tears coming out of his eyes, and I asked, ‘Are you okay?’ ” John Mlynarski III said. “(Andrew) said, ‘This is so bittersweet. I wanted to win so bad, but I hate to see my brother lose.’ And as a dad, it was probably the coolest thing you could ever hear.”

That humbleness helped the brothers with their craft. John viewed his decision to attend Ohio University as a chance to improve his game.

His choice had an influence when it was Andrew’s time to pick a school to attend.

On the course, the Mlynarski brothers want the best out of themselves and use each other as motivation.

“If I know Johnny’s slacking, I’m going to pressure him to get it going; and if I’m slacking, I’m not going to hear the end of it,” Andrew said.

Besides helping Andrew with picking professors and showing where classroom buildings are, a big benefit that John gives Andrew is the inside scoop about courses, leading Andrew to recall a tournament in Bowling Green.

“That’s probably why I was beating (him) by seven shots going into the final round,” Andrew said.

Ohio men’s golf coach Bob Cooley praises the brothers as great kids and sees their drive on the course.

“They’re both very competitive,” Cooley said. “Both root for each other but they both try to beat each other.”

Perhaps they can counsel each other to keep the ball out of craters as they shoot for the moon.

mk277809@ohiou.edu