Nelsonville-York’s football field was dedicated to the father of current coach Dave Boston Jr. His father Dave Boston Sr. coached the Buckeye football team for 27 years. (JASON CHOW | For The Post)

High School Football: Buckeye coaching all in the family

When Nelsonville-York coach Dave Boston takes the field for home games, he is reminded of his father.

Being around the sport takes him back to the days when he played backyard catch with his dad, who is sitting just a few yards away in the press box.

But the main reason Boston is reminded of his father is that his team’s home turf is named for his father, Dave Boston Sr.

When the Nelsonville City School District and the Buchtel-York Local School District consolidated in 1967, Boston Sr. was named the new high school’s first coach after serving a year in charge of the program at what was then Nelsonville High School.

He established every major tradition at Nelsonville-York, from choosing the school colors to instilling the core values that the Buckeye football team proudly flaunts.

Boston Sr. coached for 27 years, during which he brought success to the program, such as winning the 1981 state championship.

Despite his impressive resumé as coach, he thinks the players deserve most of the recognition.

“We had some outstanding football teams in my career,” Boston Sr. said. “But we had some outstanding men to work with, so I won’t take much of the credit.

We just had a bunch of good players.”

But the high school thought he was worthy of recognition. In 1992, the school renamed its football field Boston Field in honor of his accomplishments. One year later, he retired, but it was not the last time they’d have a Boston as a head coach.

Kevin Meade, Dave Boston Sr.’s son-in-law, coached the Buckeyes for 10 years before Boston Jr. took over.

Boston Jr. has won at least a share of the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division title each of his eight years, and the 6-0 Buckeyes are on pace for another championship.

“(My son) has done a great job with this program,” Boston Sr. said. “He brings an awful lot to the table. If he does anything right, it’s because he cares about those kids. He probably cares about those kids more than some of their parents.”

One parent who agrees with Boston Sr. is Earich Dean. Dean played quarterback for the elder Boston in the 1980s and is the Buckeyes’ offensive coordinator.

Dean’s father also played under center for Boston Sr., and his son Nathan is Nelsonville-York’s current quarterback under Boston Jr. All three wore No. 11.

“They built the pride; they built the tradition; they built Nelsonville-York football,” Earich Dean said. “They are such tremendous teachers, not just of the X’s and O’s but also just how to be great young men.”

Boston Jr. says Friday nights can get emotional as he takes the field named after his father.

“I think about my father and all of the things he taught me,” Boston Jr. said. “I think about the legacy that he has with the program, and I’m glad that he is still around the team to continue teaching these young men.”

Boston Sr. does not have an official position with Nelsonville-York but is an interested observer who works with the players during the week

and watches from the press box on Friday nights to see his son do what he once did.

For Boston Sr., that is an emotional moment as well.

“I’m extremely proud of my son,” Boston Sr. said. “It’s been a tradition and pride that we built here, and it’s still here today.”

Though a member of the Boston family has coached Nelsonville-York football for every one of its 45 seasons, Boston Jr. likely will be the last in a long and successful lineage of Boston coaches.

“My son has chosen a different career path, and I am extremely proud of him,” Boston Jr. said. “There are several other guys that are qualified for the position, and I’m sure the program will be in good hands once I leave.” 

mt051510@ohiou.edu