Hockey: Captain, young 'D' step up for 'Cats

In hockey, perhaps more than any other sport, a captain’s contribution can be vital to a team’s success. Where the guy with the “C” on his chest goes, the rest of the players follow.   

It’s no wonder that Ohio’s 5-1-0 start can be linked directly to its captain, Michael Schultz, who through six games lead the team with seven goals, tied for third in the American Collegiate Hockey Association, and 11 points. Schultz is also tied for first in the ACHA with two game-winning goals.

But instead of basking in any of the individual glory, Schultz deflected it and credited his teammates for his quick start.

“Basically I’ve just been able to get the puck from my line mates, Tyler (Pilmore) and Nick (Rostek),” he said. “Everything has been going well, and all the defense and the other forwards that I’ve been playing with have been helping me out.”

The gaudy numbers are nothing new for the senior, who has been one of the Bobcats’ most consistent scoring threats throughout his collegiate career. He has led the team in goals and points each of the past two seasons.

What is new this season is that Schultz isn’t just expected to be one of the team’s best players, but its leader off the ice, as well. It’s a role he’s stepping into gradually.

“I feel like I’d rather lead through my actions rather than words said in the locker room,” Schultz said. “Obviously sometimes I’ve got to be a vocal leader, but I want to back that up with my play. I feel like I’ve been doing a decent job with that this year and the guys are really clicking in and following.”

Freshman fills BIG role

While the Bobcats have found a leader in a likely place with Schultz, they’ve also found one from an improbable source — a freshman.

Craig Myeroff has just five weeks in a Bobcat uniform under his belt, but the rookie defenseman from Akron has already stepped into a key role for the team by eating up major minutes on Ohio’s top defensive pairing with Zack Barbis. He is also a fixture on the power play and penalty kill units, where he used his large frame to block shots, most noticeably in five-on-three situations.

With Myeroff as the anchor, Ohio’s penalty kill has been a plus early in the season. The team has allowed only six goals on its opponent’s 42 man-advantage opportunities for an 86 percent kill rate.

Myeroff’s bright start has been significant for Ohio not just at an individual level but for the team as a whole, helping solidify the play of a blue line corps that starts three other freshmen.

“Craig’s really stepped up,” Schultz said. “He’s gotten a lot of ice time in the first few weekends that we’ve had and helped us out a lot at the back.”

Assistant coach Steve Osacky was a defenseman of last year’s team, a role Myeroff is essentially filling. He said he has not only been impressed with Myeroff’s strong start coming into a new system, but his ability to lead vocally as a freshman as well.

Standing at 6-foot-3, 210-pounds, Myeroff’s teammates have started to look up to him literally and figuratively.

“He’s definitely not soft-spoken at all,” Osacky said. “He leads on the ice and he plays with a lot of passion, and you can tell he’s got a lot of passion for leadership. So he definitely brings a lot to the table as a freshman.

cd211209@ohiou.edu