Athens tailback DeVon Sharp fends off multiple defenders during the Sept. 30 game against Meigs. The Bulldogs beat the Marauders 56-9. Since that game, Athens has won one more game, bringing its undefeated record to 7-0. (JASON CHOW | For The Post)

HS Football: Athens-area teams race to finish first

The Athens-area high-school football teams are at varying points on the road to the postseason.

The driver’s seat: Both Athens and Nelsonville-York are sitting pretty at 7-0, combining to beat their opponents by a ratio of 559-133.

The passing lane: Trimble is on the rise. Since stumbling to a pair of early losses, they have won their last four games and carry a load of momentum into this week’s matchup with Belpre.

A traffic jam: Alexander hit a speed bump last week, falling to Wellston 27-14. The loss was the team’s first of the season.

Athens (7-0)

The Bulldogs have been making quick work of their opposition so far this season.

Coach Ryan Adams and his squad have done a good job powering through their first seven games, but what lies ahead will prove to be the biggest challenge.

With the Spartans fresh off their first loss of the season, Adams is counting on seeing a fired-up Alexander squad Friday.

“It actually makes things tougher for us,” he said. “Alexander has their backs up against the wall, and they’re going to play like it’s a do-or-die situation.”

Alexander (6-1)

With the sting of the home scoreboard signaling a Wellston victory last week, the Spartans have no holds barred heading into Friday’s matchup at Athens.

Just as the Golden Rockets played spoiler last week, Alexander is looking to rain on Athens’ Homecoming parade.

“I think the kids know what they did and what they’ve got to change, and that means on and off the field and that’s it,” Alexander coach Sean Arno said.

If the mistakes are not corrected, the Spartans could have a lengthier fall from grace, for they are slated to match up with menacing Nelsonville-York during Week Nine.

Nelsonville-York (7-0)

A key for the Buckeyes is not to take anything for granted as they prepare to take on Vinton County (1-6).

“Our guys take every game as seriously as the next one. Records don’t tell the whole story,” coach Dave Boston said. “Any given night one football team can outplay another, and this football team is going to make sure we are outplaying our opponents.”

Nelsonville-York has breezed through its competition thus far, keeping opponents’ at no more than a pair of touchdowns in any outing.

Trimble (4-2)

The Tomcats are on the rise and have no plans of stopping this week at Belpre (0-7).

The biggest storyline to come out of Glouster is the Tomcats’ offensive production.

Trimble has averaged almost 40 points per contest since falling in its opening two games.

“As we think we’re ready, we’re going to keep adding more (plays),” coach Phil Faires said. “We’re throwing a bit more out of different formations and are trying to find some things that (quarterback Justin) Jewell has real confidence in, because if we do make the playoffs, we’re going to have to throw.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu