Volleyball: Despite conference success, 'Cats content without national recognition

For most of the decade, Ohio has been the ruler of the Mid-American Conference without peer, but although the team has another successful season underway, it is flying under the national radar.

The Bobcats hold the 56th spot in the Ratings Percentage Index and did not receive votes in the American Volleyball Coaches Association coaches’ poll this week. MAC teams such Northern Illinois, Ball State and Western Michigan hold higher RPI positions.

In response to the other teams’ higher rankings, Ohio coach Ryan Theis said he does not think that his team should be any higher.

“We didn’t beat the teams that we had hoped to,” Theis said. “We’ve dropped one or two matches that probably dropped us down some (in the rankings). We are where we deserve to be.”

Theis said his team’s focus is getting better because, if the NCAA tournament started today, the Bobcats might not get a spot in the tournament.

The players are cognizant of the rankings and agree they are ranked where the team should be.

“I think we kind of expect all those top-25 votes to go to bigger conferences,” senior defensive specialist Nicole Staverman said.

HITTING THE CENTURY MARK

Freshmen outside hitter Kelly Lamberti notched her 100th kill in conference play during the match against Toledo Saturday. She is second in points in conference play with 113, an average of 4.35 per set.

“I just keep working hard and scoring points for the team,” Lamberti said. “It’s all for the team; it’s not for me.”

Coming into this year, Lamberti said she would be able to contribute, but not in the capacity that she has.

“She is having a really nice freshman campaign,” Theis said. “She is second in the conference behind (Northern Illinois’ Lauren) Wicinski, which is quite a feat. The level of play continues to escalate. We hope she continues to perform well.”

Wicinski has 217.5 points, placing her well above Lamberti and any other player in the conference.

MEASURING UP

At this point in the season last year, Ohio (15-7, 7-1 MAC) had a conference record of 5-3. Staverman said things did not go as smoothly last year.

“I think we’re in good shape at this point in the season,” she said. “As a senior, I think we just try to keep that tradition going.”

When comparing this year to last year, Theis said that last year, the team had one or two more significant wins but had three more significant losses.

“If we can stay a one- or two-loss team, that means we will have two or three more of the top-50 opponents.”

Pointing to the coming weekend, Theis said Ohio still controls its own destiny.

nr225008@ohiou.edu