Football Notebook: Tettleton and team set sights on MAC championship

Tyler Tettleton is one passing touchdown away from becoming Ohio’s all-time single-season record-holder. But in his first year as the Bobcats’ starting quarterback, the only record that matters to him is the one that follows his team’s name in the standings.

With his game-winning touchdown pass to Donte Foster against Temple last Wednesday, Tettleton tied the record set by Theo Scott in 2009 with 20 passing touchdowns.

And he had no idea.

“That’s awesome,” Tettleton said. “But right now I’m not concerned about that. If I break it along the season, that’s great, but I had no idea.”

Tettleton credited the players around him for their ability to make plays when he gets them the ball and said the team’s focus is solely on its upcoming game.

“We’re focused on Central Michigan now,” he said. “My goal is to win the (Mid-American Conference) championship and win a bowl game, so I never think about any of that. But if it happens, I’ll look back on it and think it was a great season.”

Tettleton is also 133 yards shy of becoming Ohio’s all-time single-season leader for passing yards — another record he could break Thursday night.

While Tettleton has exceeded expectations thus far, coach Frank Solich said his staff had an idea of what he could achieve.

“When he came out of spring ball, we knew he had a chance to really be good,” Solich said. “That just continued through fall camp. From spring on, it became clear to us that we had a chance to have a special quarterback.

Interceptions on the decline

Through the first five games of the season, Ohio’s defense had 12 interceptions. In the four games since then, the Bobcats have not picked off a single pass.

After ranking near the top of the country in that category through five weeks, Ohio has fallen to a tie for 15th.

Defensive coordinator Jimmy Burrow said a few factors have contributed to the turnovers tapering off.

“It’s probably a little luck,” he said. “There were a few games we thought we had some opportunities we didn’t take advantage of, so we’re just making them more aware of trying to strip the ball, tips and overthrows, and those type of things that we were getting in the first few games.”

In games in which the Bobcats have intercepted a pass, the team is 4-1. In games without an interception, they are 2-2. Burrow said offenses started to adjust their game plan once Ohio’s number of picks started to pile up.

“Some of the offenses we’ve played have been a little more conservative as far as throwing the ball downfield because we got off to a good start,” he said.

Burrow said the many injuries to the Bobcats’ defense have also played a role. Cornerbacks Omar Leftwich and Travis Carrie have both missed time while safety Xavier Hughes has been out since Oct. 8.

“Xavier had great ball skills,” Burrow said. “It’s just the opportunities haven’t been there, and the ones that have, we haven’t taken advantage of.

“It’s a concern and something that hopefully when the dam breaks, we’ll get a whole bunch. We’re still working on it, so hopefully we’ll get back to where we were early in the season.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu