photo provided

Football: Ohio draws RB from Sunshine State

Ohio has received another oral commitment from a Florida high-school football player.

Dazmond Patterson, a running back from Plant City High School, orally committed to Ohio on Nov. 2, the day the Bobcats played Temple on ESPN. Patterson was in Athens for the game against Marshall and said he loved the atmosphere.

According to ESPN.com, Patterson is 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighs 182 pounds and ran a 4.76-second 40-yard dash. Patterson received two of five stars and a 71 scout grade from ESPN.com.

He has 78 carries for 693 yards and seven touchdowns this year to go along with 211 receiving yards and three more touchdowns. Last year, he picked up 1,274 rushing yards, 524 receiving yards and 18 total touchdowns.

During his visit, Patterson talked to Bobcat players Larenzo Fisher and Ian Dixon and said he felt welcomed at Ohio.  

“I felt comfortable here. I felt like it will be a great place to play ball,” Patterson said.

The ultimate factor that led to Patterson’s commitment was what he saw as a chance to play.

“I like my opportunity to play. With Donte Harden graduating, they’re going to need me to step up in the spring,” Patterson said.

Plant City is 7-2 on the year.

Patterson is not coming to Athens alone. He will be joined by two other Ohio recruits from Florida. King High School quarterback Greg Windham and wide receiver Chris Murray were also in attendance for the Marshall game and committed late in September.

“We’re all from the same area. It feels good to be around some people that understand you, so I won’t worry about being up here and being the only guy,” Patterson said.

He said one of the main reasons he came to Ohio was due to the offense the team runs and the chance to make his dream of going to the National Football League become a reality.

He plans to enroll in the spring and hopes to make an impact in the spring game.

If the three Florida recruits follow through with their oral commitments and play for Ohio, they will double the number of players from the state on the Bobcats’ roster.

LaVon Brazill, Tremayne Scott and Mark Smith all hail from the Sunshine State. Brazill will not be on the team next season, meaning the three players that are part of the incoming recruiting class would form a majority of the team’s Florida contingent.

mk277809@ohiou.edu