MAC Notebook: Division leaders try to break away entering Week 12

Mid-American Conference teams are chasing Ohio and Northern Illinois, leading their respective divisions, entering the 12th week of college football.

Eastern Michigan 30, Buffalo 17

The Eagles’ win against the Bulls pulled them to within one win of bowl eligibility and kept the team in the hunt for the MAC West title.

Because only one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision team counts toward bowl eligibility, Eastern Michigan needs to beat either Kent State or Northern Illinois to keep postseason hopes alive.

Eagles’ quarterback Alex Gillett threw for 234 yards and four touchdowns against the Bulls’ defense. Receiver Demarius Reed and tight end Garrett Hoskins each had two receiving touchdowns.

Buffalo’s offense relied heavily on sophomore running back Branden Oliver who rushed for 133 yards on 18 rushes. Oliver also picked up a pair of touchdowns, both coming in the second quarter.

The Bulls led by one point after Oliver’s 68-yard touchdown run, though that proved to be the end of the scoring for the team. Alex Gillett tacked on a touchdown with almost five minutes remaining in the third quarter and then added another early in the fourth quarter to seal the victory.

Eastern Michigan next takes on Kent State and then will travel to Northern Illinois with hopes of knocking off the MAC West-leading Huskies.

“Our focus is really on Kent State,” coach Ron English said. “Coach (Darrell) Hazell has his team improving, and they’re playing very well.”

Ball State at Northern Illinois

The Cardinals have a chance to control their own fate when they travel to DeKalb, Ill., for a midweek challenge. Ball State, third in the MAC West, has the best two teams in the division, Northern Illinois and Toledo, remaining on its schedule.

If Ball State wins, the team will pass the Huskies in the standings and could essentially be playing for the MAC West title in two weeks against the Rockets.

Northern Illinois comes into the game with one of the best offensive attacks in the MAC. The Huskies, led by senior quarterback Chandler Harnish, are second in scoring offense and total offense. Harnish, dangerous inside and outside the pocket, is ranked third in the conference for rushing yards.

Ball State has had trouble preventing the ground attack this season. On average, the Cardinals have allowed 210 rushing yards per game. The key to the game will be containing the Huskies’ explosive offense.

“I don’t know if you can stop them,” Ball State coach Pete Lembo said. “You’re hoping to slow them down and not give up the quick strikes.”

Western Michigan at Miami

The RedHawks, who sit at third in the MAC East with a 3-3 conference record, must win their next game to continue defending their division title.  

Miami is in a tough spot after its loss to Temple and must control what it can as it heads into the final weeks of play. First on the to-do list is a victory against the visiting Broncos.

Western Michigan will be ready to avenge its 66-63 setback against Toledo.

Alex Carder and Jordan White anchor the Broncos’ offense. Carder leads all MAC quarterbacks with an average of 300 passing yards per game. White, a senior receiver, leads the conference in receptions and receiving yards.

Miami’s top-ranked pass defense will be tested in the must-win game.

"It will be a very good matchup and an exciting one to watch,” RedHawks coach Don Treadwell said.

Tonight

Ball State at Northern Illinois 

Wednesday

OHIO at Bowling Green

Western Michigan at Miami

Friday, November 18

Toledo at Central Michigan

mm938910@ohiou.edu