Swimming: Competition no match for Bobcats at Zippy Invitational

The Bobcats grabbed an early lead in the Zippy Invitational and never looked back, as Ohio finished first every day in the three-day tournament to win the event for the sixth straight year.

They racked up 519 team points in the first day of competition and expanded their lead from there.

Through the second day of competition they were 295.5 ahead and remained in first place of the 14-team field. The Bobcats finished the tournament 99-team points ahead of second place on Sunday to round out the tournament.

Coach Greg Werner said this tournament was the most equitable to the Mid-American Conference championships and he was pleased with the results.

“To come away with a win, and to lead each day and to have a lot of the performances that we had is very, very satisfying and makes myself, the coaching staff and the entire program extremely happy,” Werner said.

Three MAC schools were present at the tournament, and Werner said the Bobcats need to improve in order when they face them and others down the road in league play. 

“There’s four other schools out there that we didn’t see this weekend so we know we have to improve,” Werner said. “But, in saying that, we know that we’re doing a lot of great things up to this point in the season and have more than half of the season ahead of us to improve.”

mk277809@ohiou.edu

The Bobcats next competition is at home where  they will host Denison on Jan. 7 in a dual meet.