Women's Basketball: Ohio falls to Syracuse in final Las Vegas game

Every game has a different story, but in both of Ohio’s last two games the story has been similar. The Bobcats stuck with powerful programs in women’s college basketball and came away with a .500 record.

The Bobcats (6-7) played a tight contest against the Syracuse Orange (9-4), but the Orange picked up the 81-70 victory in the last game of the Duel in the Desert in Las Vegas earlier this evening. After losing in a landslide in the tournament opener, the Bobcats competed well in their final two games.

Coach Semeka Randall said the time spent in Las Vegas was a good experience for her squad.

“We played hard and strong,” she said. “Hopefully we can take a lot of things and when we get back from break, (we) can get ready for George Mason and the conference.”

Syracuse junior center Kayla Alexander picked up two quick fouls in the first few minutes of the game. The Orange’s best player (averaging 17.7 points a game) sat for more than five minutes to avoid getting in further foul trouble.

Alexander’s replacement, Shakeya Leary, chipped in with 10 points in the first half and helped Syracuse take the 42-41 lead at the intermission.

Elashier Hall added 9 points.

Syracuse got in transition to speed up the tempo, but Ohio was able to make the necessary adjustments.

Redshirt senior Tenishia Benson notched seven points and nine rebounds in the first half. She finished with a double-double, tallying 17 points and 12 rebounds. Freshman guard Mariah Byard added nine points to pace the Bobcats in the first half. She would finish with 12

The Orange shot 48.6 percent from the field, but the Bobcats remained composed and kept the contest close at the break.

During the second half, three Orange forwards, including Alexander, had four fouls. Ohio could not force any of those players to foul out.

Ohio narrowed the gap to 64-62 with just more than seven minutes to play, but that would be as close as it would get.

The Orange went on a 17-8 run to close out the game.

Syracuse overwhelmed the Bobcats’ defense in the second half. Four players would finish in double figures.

Even though her team played solid basketball, Randall would not commit to saying that her team has turned a corner, but said that squads always focus harder for big games, and the real challenge is pushing yourself when the game is not on that type of stage.

Ohio will have a nine-day hiatus before coming back to play George Mason. Randall said this is the perfect time for a break, as some players are banged up and need recharging before taking the court again.

nr225008@ohiou.edu