'Cats honored with Senate resolution

The Ohio football team was recognized for its Famous Idaho Potato Bowl victory and 10-win season during a halftime ceremony at the men’s basketball game Saturday. On Tuesday, the team was recognized in a different slightly more formal setting.

Members of the Ohio State Senate honored the Bobcats for their first-ever bowl win during Tuesday’s Senate session at the Ohio Statehouse.

State Sen. Troy Balderson (R-20) presented the team with a Senate resolution in recognition of its achievements.

Juniors Jordan Thompson, Travis Carrie and Tremayne Scott, as well as sophomore Tyler Tettleton, attended the ceremony. Coach Frank Solich, Director of Athletics Jim Schaus and university President Roderick McDavis were also in attendance.

“It was neat. Being from Ohio, we took a field trip there in fifth grade, so that was the last time I’ve been to the Statehouse,” said Thompson, a Rockford native. “It is nice because people take notice of what we have going on here at school. For them to take time out of their day to recognize us, it was nice.”

The bowl victory gave Ohio its first 10-win season since 1968 and its first-ever postseason victory. The Bobcats won more games in 2011 than any of Ohio’s seven other Football Bowl Subdivision programs.

“It was actually pretty cool,” Scott said. “It was a pretty nice deal for our players to be acknowledged like that.”

The ceremony lasted about four minutes as a list of the group’s accomplishments were read to the Senate.

“Every Ohio autumn is marked by great football throughout our state,” Balderson said in a press release. “Whether it’s on a neighborhood sandlot or under the lights on a Friday night, Ohio has long-embraced this great tradition. OU’s accomplishments this season have given us another stalwart in the sport of football, and that’s something we can all be proud of.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu