(Provided)

DJs jockey to save the music with benefit

Correction: The benefit show will begin at 10 p.m., not 9 p.m. as the breakout box says. Also, admission is free with a $4 suggested donation.

University Program Council is teaming up with rockers and DJs alike in order to save Music in the Schools, an Athens County progressive program that teaches children to express themselves musically.

Thursday night, Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., will host DJs Arthur “Empty Cups” Henke and Joe “Mad Hat” Sherwood — together known as bustedBASS — in order to save the Music in the Schools program from shutting down.

The program is struggling in large part because of heavy reliance on out-of-pocket funding, much of which comes from Mike Doughty, the program’s director. Using local media, Facebook and Twitter, Doughty put out a call for help and organized Thursday’s show.

Music in the Schools, which is in its sixth year of operation, provides free workshops for children. In the past, the program has brought in big-name acts such as Mark Pender from  the late-night talk show Conan and Shirley King, daughter of B.B. King, to work with local children.

“The program teaches kids to improvise and express themselves,” Doughty said. “We want to tell them don’t turn to drugs, turn to music.”

Not everyone exiting high school can become a professional athlete, but music is a lifelong pursuit, Doughty said.

The organization is reliant on out-of-pocket expenses, donation events and an annual jazz festival, which will be held this summer.

“A lot of workshops charge money, but we are just trying to break even,” Doughty said. “I feel the kids have a right to expose themselves to big artists.”

In order to raise as much money as possible, Doughty said he set up Thursday’s show to appeal to all age groups and genres. The evening will start with Station Break Blues Band, of which Doughty is a member. BustedBASS will later take the stage, appealing to a younger crowd.

Kieran Manzi, media manager and publicist for the DJ duo, said bustedBASS heard about Doughty’s call for help on WOUB Public Media’s Newswatch and instantly responded.

“We saw on the news that Doughty was looking for help to prevent the program from closing down,” Henke said. “We’re DJs, we love music, so it was a no-brainer. We had to do this event.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu