Ohio’s J.C. Gulch takes the puck from an Illinois player during the Bobcats’ game Saturday, Jan. 7 in Bird Arena. The Bobcats went on to win the game 5-1. (BRIEN VINCENT | Staff Photographer)

Emerging goaltenders give team boost in back

Coming into the season, the one area where a veteran Bobcat team looked like it could struggle was the most important on the ice — goaltender. Regardless of production from an explosive cast of returning forwards, Ohio would be hard-pressed to compete for titles without an answer between the pipes.

“A forward makes a mistake, nobody notices; if a defenseman makes a mistake, everybody notices; (but) if a goalie makes a mistake, everybody really notices because it’s usually in the back of the net,” said Ohio coach Dan Morris.

Sophomore net-minder Teddy Dushkin played sparingly in only seven games last year.

But after some early struggles due to inexperience, compounded by Ohio starting at least three freshmen defensemen every game Fall Quarter, goaltending has now turned into an asset. In their last six games, Madden and Dushkin have allowed only six goals.

“If you didn’t know the goalies, then yeah, it might surprise you, but if you come to practice and see how hard they work, then it doesn’t,” Morris said.

Madden has been a goal-mouth closer, an eye-opener and is 9-1 this season. His 1.44 goals against average leads the entire American Collegiate Hockey Association for goalies who have started at least 10 games. His 0.93 save percentage is among the ACHA’s top five.

Dushkin has been strong, too, sporting a 10-6-1 record after carrying most of the load early in the season.

By tournament time, the coaching staff might have to designate one goalie as the top dog, but both net-minders will need to contribute as the season continues. And because winning the ACHA tournament requires four wins in five days, having two number one goalies is beneficial.

Bridging the Gulch 

The return of sophomore J.C. Gulch has aided the Bobcats’ young defensive corps. A knee injury had kept Gulch sidelined all fall quarter.

As a freshman, Gulch earned one of the two spots on the ACHA All-Rookie team after compiling eight goals and 23 points.

After sitting out Ohio’s first 18 games, Gulch’s presence made a difference in his Nov. 26 return against West Chester. He scored six minutes into the game on his first shot of the season.

“I was practicing, and once I got onto the ice in the game, everything just came back to me,” Gulch said.

Gulch’s return has perhaps meant just as much to Morris off the ice as on. Though only a sophomore, Gulch is the vocal leader of the defense and, along with senior Zack Barbis, is an elder statesman on the blue line.

“He’s grown a lot in the past year from a shy, quiet kid into where he’s outgoing, he’s vocal, he’s approachable, and he’s starting to really come into his own,” Morris said.

Though Gulch is back, his linemate is not. Jake Holzemer, who hasn’t played since October because of a knee injury, has been ruled out for the rest of the season. Gulch now plays with freshman Mike Kretz. Morris said he paired the two because they play a similar style. 

“Every game I realize something different about (Kretz),” Gulch said. “We’re starting to relate more. I know where he’s going to be, he knows where I’m going to be.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu