Ohio's Tom Whetsel rushes by an Ohio State player in pursuit of the puck during the game on Saturday, Nov 5.  The Bobcats won 11-1.

Hockey: Ohio falls short of sweeping Robert Morris

In an arena called The Edge, the Bobcats came within the width of a post for a perfect weekend.

But a second win was not to be, as Ohio (21-7-1) split its weekend series with Robert Morris (19-4-1), taking a 4-1 victory on Friday before losing a 2-1 nail-biter in a shootout Saturday.

Though it wasn’t everything he wanted, coach Dan Morris said he was happy to get eight of the 12 league points on the table in Chicago.

“We had our chances, we put it to them, but give them credit — they blocked a lot of shots, their goalie played well and we just couldn’t put the puck in the back of the net and win in regulation,” he said. “I’d like to have all 12, but we got out of there with eight.”

The series did not start according to Ohio’s plan, as Robert Morris took a 1-0 lead just six minutes into the game Friday night. But that was all Ohio and goalie Brendan Madden allowed en route to the win.

Zack Barbis got the scoring going for Ohio just a minute into the second on an assist from Michael Schultz. Nick Rostek and Zach Tisdale gave Ohio a 3-1 lead after two periods.

West Chicago-native John Luciana sealed the win. Playing in his first game since October, Luciana scored 12 minutes into the third to give Ohio a 4-1 victory.

Madden made 24 saves in the win, his fifth straight as a starter. He has not allowed more than two goals in a game during that stretch,

“That’s what we’re known for — playing defense,” Morris said. “It’s a commitment to team defense, limiting penalties, limiting the number of shots. It’s just making sure they’ve got to scratch and claw for everything they get.”

Despite Madden’s hot streak, Teddy Dushkin got the start in net for Ohio on Saturday, his first action since leaving the Dec. 3 game with a high-ankle sprain.

The sophomore showed few signs of rust early on as the game remained scoreless after one period.

Once again, the Eagles got on the board first. The game stayed 1-0 into the third, but Brett Agnew put an end to the scoreless draught with 16 minutes left in regulation.

Ohio had plenty of chances in the third period and overtime, during which the Bobcats outshot the Eagles 21-5.

In the shootout, Ohio’s second of the season, Robert Morris slipped two goals past Dushkin. Agnew scored for Ohio, but Josh Fodor’s shot that would have tied things up dinged off the post as Ohio fell 2-1.

Even with the shootout loss, the Bobcats kept control of their destiny in the race for the Central States Collegiate Hockey League regular-season crown. They travel to play Lindenwood next weekend, where two wins would put Ohio back in the league’s driver’s seat.

“That’s where you want to be,” Morris said. “You want it to be in your own hands, you want to be able to keep it in your own hands, and that’s all you can ask for.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu