Ohio’s Reggie Keely attempts a layup against Western Michigan. The Bobcats won Wednesday against the Broncos 56-51, improving to 4-2 in Mid-American Conference play. Ohio next plays Ball State at 11 a.m. Saturday in The Convo. (BRIEN VINCENT | Staff Photographer)

Men's Basketball: Bobcats buck Broncos despite rebounding woes, poor shooting

Defeating a sub-.500 team without its leading scorer and rebounder seems like an easy task, but nothing came easy for the Bobcats Wednesday night.

After leading by as many as 15 points, Ohio (16-4, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) allowed Western Michigan (9-11, 3-3 MAC) back into the game before finally defeating the Broncos 56-51.

Western Michigan forward Matt Stainbrook, who leads the league in field-goal percentage, did not make the trip to Athens because of a coach’s decision.

The Bobcats launched 24 3-point attempts and converted on only six. None of Ohio’s big men scored more than seven points.

Even with two Western Michigan forwards in foul trouble during the first half and Stainbrook at home, the Bobcats continued to rely on 3-point shots.

Groce said he was not displeased with his team’s shot selection despite shooting only 25 percent from behind the arc.

“T.J. Hall made five 3s in a row (Tuesday) at practice, and he was wide open on the ones he missed tonight. What are we going to tell

him? Not to shoot them?” Groce said.

Stainbrook’s absence seemingly would have also given the Bobcats an advantage on the glass, but it didn’t.

The Broncos came into the game averaging 39 rebounds per game and were able to pull down 43 against Ohio while limiting the Bobcats to 32.

“They’re one of the better teams in the MAC in rebounding,” Ohio forward Jon Smith said. “We knew it was going to be a battle on the glass. Every rebound was important.”

Ohio led 29-14 with 5:35 to play in the first half and appeared to be on its way to an easy victory. But a 13-0 Bronco run — helped by a Bobcat field-goal drought that lasted for the final 6:20 of the opening half — allowed Western Michigan to tie the game at 30 heading into the break.

“It’s a game of runs,” Smith said. “We punched them in the mouth early. Then they punched us in the mouth and evened it up. Whoever finishes with the

last run wins. That’s how we take it.”

With just less than 10 minutes to play and the score locked at 42, Western Michigan’s Flenard Whitfield was called for a technical foul after his flailing arm made contact with Ohio’s Ricardo Johnson.

Ohio made both free throws and scored on its ensuing possession to gain a four-point advantage. The Broncos never led after that.

Ohio point guard D.J. Cooper led all scorers with 18 points and was the only Bobcat to register double figures.

Johnson’s scrappy play also kept the Bobcats in the game. He finished with nine points, seven rebounds and two steals among a number of other hustle plays.

“Ric’s energy off the bench was tremendous,” Groce said. “He’s been practicing well and playing better and better every game. I thought he gave us some positive minutes tonight.”

Despite the inconsistency on offense, the Bobcats remained fluid on defense and held the Broncos to 30 percent shooting from the field.

“It was a mental toughness and physical toughness game where every possession was valuable,” Groce said. “Our defense, at the end of the day, got it done for us.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu