Men's Basketball: BracketBuster matchup bums Bobcats

ESPNU’s BracketBuster contests are meant to whet the appetite of fans and the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee. Instead, Ohio’s recently announced matchup might leave both groups feeling unsatisfied.

The Bobcats (17-4, 5-2 Mid-American Conference) learned they will face UNC-Asheville (16-7, 11-1 Big South) at 7 p.m. in The Convo Feb. 18. The game will be shown on ESPN3.com.

Though the Bulldogs are currently the top dog in the Big South Conference, neither the opponent nor the audience is up to the standards that many had hoped.

UNC-Asheville’s current Ratings Percentage Index is 128, meaning even if the Bobcats defeat the Bulldogs, their RPI would not increase significantly.

Buffalo and Northern Iowa — two teams that Ohio beat this season — received games against higher-profile teams to be aired on national television.

After the matchup was announced, Ohio coach John Groce said he was more concerned with the upcoming game against Northern Illinois than the BracketBusters contest.

“I try to worry about things I can control,” Groce said. “They tell us who we’re playing and when it is and what station it’s on, and I can’t control that stuff.

“It is what it is. We got who we got. When the time comes we’ll prepare accordingly and try to put our guys in the best position to win the game.”

But Groce did say that he was disappointed that his team will not have the chance to play on national television.

“We clearly should have been on national television,” Groce said. “That’s the part I’m most disgusted about for our guys.”

The Bobcats and Bulldogs have never met on the basketball floor.

UNC-Asheville has played a tough schedule this season and has close losses against major programs such as Connecticut and Tennessee. The Bulldogs also dropped a contest to North Carolina.

This is the second consecutive season Ohio will face an opponent from the Big South Conference in the challenge, after defeating Winthrop in 2011.

The Bobcats are 5-3 all-time in BracketBuster games with wins coming against George Mason, Detriot, Wright State, Samford and Winthrop.

ro137807@ohiou.edu