Men's Basketball: Taming of the Bulls

Coming into Wednesday’s game against Buffalo, Ohio coach John Groce emphasized his team’s need to play tougher defense and to limit the Bulls’ dynamic frontcourt.

Check and check.

The Bobcats (13-3, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) outmatched the Bulls (8-5, 1-1 MAC) from start to finish on the way to a 60-52 victory, avoiding a three-game losing streak and earning their first conference win of the season.

“The biggest thing is, student-athletes don’t like for their toughness to be questioned, and I called them out a little bit on Saturday,” Groce said. “A lot of people were wondering about the response of our guys. I think you saw it tonight. I thought we were really tough. I thought our defense was exceptional.”

After back-to-back games in which Ohio allowed its opponent to shoot at least 50 percent from the field, the Bobcats held the Bulls to only 38 percent shooting and 2-for-12 from 3-point territory.

Aiding in the Bobcats’ cause was the fact that Buffalo star forward Javon McCrea spent almost the entire first half watching the game from the bench with two fouls.

McCrea, who only spent 20 minutes on the floor, managed only eight points despite averaging 17.5 points per game.

With McCrea on the bench, Ohio went hard to the glass and out-rebounded the Bulls 42-39, including a 10-board performance from forward Jon Smith.

Ohio’s 17 offensive rebounds led to 17 second-chance points. Four Ohio players recorded at least seven boards.

“A big emphasis going into the game was defending and rebounding,” Ohio forward Ivo Baltic said. “I know we haven’t been defending well these last couple games, but we finally picked it up and a lot of credit goes to the coaches for preparing us.”

Before the game, Groce touted Buffalo’s frontcourt as the best Ohio had faced all season, but the Bobcats almost matched the Bulls’ production in the paint.

“They’re a very good offensive team,” Smith said. “When we got (McCrea) in foul trouble early, that really helped us out.”

Ohio jumped out to a 12-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game and never surrendered that edge. The Bobcats led 31-25 at the half.

Buffalo cut Ohio’s lead to three with 15:07 to play in the second half, but a 16-4 Ohio run gave the Bobcats their biggest lead of the night at 49-34.

The Bulls’ 52 points were the fewest the Bobcats have allowed all season.

Buffalo 3-point specialist Zach Filzen came into the game averaging more than 13 points per game but recorded his only three points of the contest from the free-throw line with the game well out of reach.

Point guard D.J. Cooper led the Bobcats with 15 points followed by Nick Kellogg and Baltic with 14 and 12, respectively.

“Neither team shot it particularly well,” Buffalo coach Reggie Witherspoon said. “I think this is sometimes what happens when you get early into conference play, and it’s not going to come easy.”

Despite the win, the Bobcats again struggled from the free-throw line and behind the arc.

Ohio shot only 63 percent from the free-throw line and connected on only five of 22 3-point attempts.

“Offensively we weren’t great tonight,” Groce said. “I’ve got to get us to execute a little better and we’ve got make a few more shots, but we were caught up on getting back to who we were — and that’s a team that can defend and rebound.

“Early on in the season, we didn’t shoot particularly well either, but we found a way to win because our defense and our rebounding had been so good.”

After blowing a large lead and eventually losing to the Bulls at The Convo last season, the Bobcats were seeking a bit of revenge Wednesday.

“That’s why this win felt so great because we blew that 18-point lead last year,” Baltic said. “That was all in the back of our minds, so it felt good.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu