Ohio’s Mariah Byard looks to pass during Sunday’s game against Miami. The Bobcats lost 67-47. They will host Akron tonight at 7 p.m. at The Convo. (OLIVIA HARLOW | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Freshman steps up for injured team

While several members of Ohio’s women’s basketball team are waiting for a doctor’s permission to return to the court, one player is helping to nurse the wounds.

Freshman guard Mariah Byard is not a doctor, but she is diagnosing opponents’ defenses and providing crucial support to an injury-depleted Ohio team.

Byard has played in every game this season, usually being one of the first players off head coach Semeka Randall’s bench. But because of the injuries, she has adjusted to a more prominent role.

Byard is now a starter and splits the point-guard duties along with senior Tenishia Benson in sophomore Ashley Fowler’s absence.

“That speaks a lot about her understanding and knowing the game. She definitely works at it and wants to be good, so (she’s) a very coachable kid,” Randall said. “That’s the fun and unique part about her.”

Byard is shooting 35 percent from the 3-point range, making her the best Bobcat from long range while Fowler is sidelined by a shoulder injury.

Byard said she did not expect to contribute the way she has for the team but that she appreciates helping the team in all aspects.

“Whether it is running the point or shooting the ball or playing defense, it’s been really nice to come in and help my team with whatever they need,” she said.

Randall said when she recruited Byard, she knew her ability to shoot the ball and her character made her an asset.

She added that Byard is still learning to play defense in the college game, and she still has a ways to go before becoming fully acclimated.

“Unfortunately, she doesn’t have time at this point to come in like a typical freshman and learn,” Randall said. “With our injuries, she has had to come in and step up right away. She is learning on the fly.”

The older players are taking notice of Byard and are constantly challenging her to step up because they know she brings so much to the program, Randall said.

Byard’s roommate, sophomore guard Olivia McCuskey, complimented Byard on how she has handled the transition.

“She’s done a really good job adjusting and handling all the pressure,” McCuskey said. “We definitely needed her to step up now that people are injured and we’re low in numbers.”

Byard is studying nursing, which she chose as her major because of her desire to help people. Basketball and nursing are different aspects of her life, but both require her help when called upon.

“I’ve liked the thought of helping people out, whether it’s helping them live or helping them get through the day — whatever it is,” she said.

Byard said she hopes to continue her positive influence on the team as the homestand nears its end. The Bobcats host Akron Thursday night at The Convo.

nr225008@ohiou.edu