Women's Basketball: Untimely turnovers, weak defense lead to Bobcat loss

Before Saturday’s game against Kent State, Ohio guard Tenishia Benson said the team’s next step would be establishing itself as a force away from home, where the Bobcats have won only once this season.

That box will have to remain unchecked until at least Thursday, when Ohio will head to Bowling Green, because the Bobcats fell to the Golden Flashes 68-65 Saturday on the road.

After leading by as many as 11 points in the first half, Ohio succumbed to a young Kent State squad, which was able to outlast the Bobcats down the stretch despite trailing at the half.  

“As a unit, the immaturity on our part, we knew that this was going to be a grind-out game,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “And we, at times, didn’t stay mentally focused on what we needed to do as a basketball program.”

The Bobcats were responsible with the ball, turning it over only 13 times. But they had a few turnovers at key points that shifted the momentum in their opponents’ direction.

“We did play smart,” Randall said. “But I thought our turnovers, when we did turn it over, were at critical times in the game where we really needed to get a basket, and I think it would have helped our momentum.”

Ohio was efficient with its shot selection as it shot almost 44 percent from the floor — higher than its season average, which is under 38 percent.  

Although the Golden Flashes consist of primarily freshmen, Ohio was unable to contain the experience they did bring to the table. Three of Kent State’s four upperclassmen recorded double figures in scoring.

Tamzin Barroilhet led the way with 20 points, a game high. Diamon Beckford had 19, and Trisha Krewson contributed 13.

Beckford had hit only four 3-pointers in 11 previous games before coming up with equally as many against Ohio.

“I think one of the things that really hurt us is when Diamon came in and made four of seven 3s,” Randall said.

“That was a little bit uncharacteristic of us, and we were caught by that. We didn’t make the proper adjustments.”

The trio combined for more than 75 percent of the team’s points and rebounds. The rebounding margin especially concerned Randall, whose team grabbed fewer boards than the Golden Flashes’ big three alone.

Randall said she was displeased with the Bobcats’ lackluster effort on the offensive glass.

“We need to get on the boards a little better than that. It was uncharacteristic of us to have only five offensive rebounds,” she said.

Benson, who scored 15 points and hauled in five rebounds, led the team. Shavon Robinson had 14 points, while Ashley Fowler added 10.

Freshman guard Mariah Byard, who started for the first time because Porsha Harris was sidelined with a knee injury, hit three of her seven tries from beyond the arc.

Kent State’s victory was its first since mid-November and snapped an eight-game losing streak. With the win, the Golden Flashes advanced to 2-10 overall and 1-1 in the Mid-American Conference. Ohio fell back to the .500 mark, evening out its record at 8-8 and 1-1 in conference play.

jr992810@ohiou.edu