Cannabis Care: College-kid tested, doctor approved

Editor’s note: The last name of an Ohio University student has been omitted from this story to protect his privacy.

As two issues to legalize medical marijuana work their way toward November’s ballot, multiple groups supporting the charge are hoping to light up support at Ohio University.

If either issue passes, it will make Ohio the 17th state to legalize medical marijuana — allowing Ohioans with qualifying medical conditions to buy, possess and grow the herb for medical purposes.

The Ohio Alternative Treatment Amendment, which has been gathering signatures since November, defines specific rules and regulations about possible medical marijuana use.

The Ohio Medical Cannabis Act, meanwhile, would create a commission to decide the basics of who could use medicinal marijuana. The Ohio Ballot Board approved the Ohio Medical Cannabis Act supporters’ request to gather signatures statewide to earn a spot on November’s ballot.

“(The issues are) clearly competing with each other, and it will make it hard for either petition to gather signatures,” said Don Wirtshafter, who helped write the Ohio Medical Cannabis Act amendment.

Each issue would amend the Ohio Constitution but needs 385,253 signatures to be placed on November’s ballot. Supporters of both issues have said college towns will be vital sources of support.

“We’re still putting our game plans in place, but absolutely, we believe college students will play a critical role in our campaign,” said Theresa Daniello, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Medical Cannabis Act of 2012.

Some student organizations, such as Students for Sensible Drug Policy, have already begun supporting the amendments throughout Ohio, but none has reached Athens.

“We’d love to have an SSDP chapter at every campus in Ohio, but unfortunately, student interest isn’t always there,” said Chris Wallis, a volunteer with the organization who works out of Kent.

Wallis said he has coordinated signature gathering at colleges throughout Ohio and is interested in involving OU.

“Certainly, in the future, we will have Ohio Medical Cannabis Act reps in Athens gathering signatures, and if anyone wants to help volunteer, we would really appreciate their support,” he said.

Some students at OU might answer Wallis’ call for action.

“These (issues) are a great example of citizens being able to speak out and make a change,” said Taylor, a junior at OU studying psychology. “(It seems) the Ohio Medical Cannabis Act is a little more put together. … But I would support both (issues).”

Taylor, who said he has used marijuana recreationally, added that he liked the fact that the amendments were focused on the rights of patients and not the sale of marijuana.

“They’re a big improvement over the way medical-marijuana amendments have been pushed nationwide,” Taylor said. “Other states have focused on how distributors (of marijuana) can make money, but here the rights of patients are the focus.”

Although the amendments compete with each other, some claim to support any pro-marijuana measure.

“We’re supporting both amendments. We’re working a little bit closer with the Ohio Alternative Treatment Amendment because that was the one that was approved a few months ago,” said Cher Neufer, the president of the Ohio chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Potential users of medical marijuana are not the only supporters of the issues.

“I’ve been watching people consume every conceivable substance for 20 years, and I’ve come to the conclusion that marijuana is generally a benign substance at its worst,” said John Sorboro, a doctor who runs an addiction clinic in Kent. “At its best, it can be a treatment for a number of diseases.”

Sorboro said he has never used marijuana and that it is far less harmful than other legal drugs such as oxycontin and prescription sedatives.

“I prescribe drugs every day that are far more dangerous than marijuana,” Sorboro said. “The prohibition of marijuana makes no logical sense.”

Though Sorboro said he supports the Ohio Medical Cannabis Act, Tonya Davis — president of the Ohio Patient Network and a supporting leader of the Ohio Alternative Treatment Amendment — said the reasons to support either issue are simple.

“I would sign any petition that would come in front of me that would benefit Ohio’s sick and would bring common sense to cannabis drug law,” Davis said. “We wish everyone well in this. It’s not a competition. It’s a right to fight for life.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu