John Bell, a Columbus attorney, speaks at a town hall gathering hosted by Athens County Animal Advocates. The group is trying to stop the county from using gas for dog euthanasia.

(Katharine Egli | Picture Editor)

Concern rises over inhumane dog killings

Calling the current method of euthanasia in Athens County “cruel and heartless,” about 80 people gathered in Walter Hall Tuesday to discuss the local campaign to stop gassing dogs.

Athens County Animal Advocates organized the meeting to educate local residents about methods of euthanasia used in the Athens County Dog Shelter.

The group has been working on a campaign to change the method from carbon-monoxide euthanasia to lethal injection, which the group says is more humane.

Commonly referred to as “gas chambers” by animal-rights activists and advocacy groups, carbon-monoxide euthanasia involves placing dogs in a metal containment box and releasing carbon monoxide into the chamber, leading to the animal losing consciousness and eventually dying.

“It’s really painful,” said Josie Schultz, a member of the Animal Advocates.

“Sometimes the vital organs of the dogs fail before the dog is unconscious, which is extremely inhumane.”

Schultz added that some dogs do not die the first time they are put into the chamber, occasionally having to be gassed an additional three or four times.

Athens County Dog Warden Jeff Koons said euthanasia by lethal injection is costlier than carbon-monoxide gassing and funding for the shelter is provided by the Athens County Commissioners, Koons said in a previous interview.

“It’s our very last resort,” Koons said. “We want the dogs to find owners. On a good day, we average three adoptions, which is excellent for a small shelter. Our goal is to find every dog a home.”

The Animal Advocates group hopes to permanently switch Athens County’s method of euthanasia to lethal injection and create a citizens’ oversight committee as soon as possible.

“All arguments aside, no matter what, we need to be humane,” said Sarah Robles, member of Animal Advocates.

Ohio law requires counties to provide a suitable place for the keeping and destruction of animals, said attorney John Bell, who has worked statewide on animal euthanasia issues.

Bell added that counties with carbon-monoxide euthanasia have changed their policies before legal action was taken.

“I have had the good fortune of trying to stop gassing through legal action,” Bell said. “It’s not really a defensible practice on many levels.”

Bell said that money is not an issue and the focus should be on whether the current method of gassing is humane or not.

Using drug costs from Vortech Pharmaceuticals, event organizer Lily Reeves said she estimated it would cost $913 to euthanize 160 dogs averaging 50 pounds with lethal injection.

Reeves said the Athens County Auditors office stated the county spent $793 in 2010 to euthanize 160 dogs with carbon monoxide.

“We have to live with the reality of euthanasia, but let’s have some compassion,” Reeves said. “We want to work with our commissioners to transition over to (lethal injection).”

Athens County is one of 13 counties left in the state that has not adopted the method of lethal injenction, said Sarah Hartman, a member of Friends of the

Shelter Dogs organization.

“In a county that considers itself forward-thinking and compassionate, why is it necessary that we have to have such a concerted effort to do what is right?” Hartman said.

“I feel a strong obligation to make this county a better place for all humans and creatures to live.”

ls114509@ohiou.edu