Players from both Ohio and Kent State teams brawl during the Bobcats' game on Friday, February 10. Ohio defeated Kent State 9-1 on Friday and 3-1 on Saturday.

Hockey: Bobcats dim Golden Flashes in series sweep

After a rough weekend in Athens, the Golden Flashes might need a new motto: Kent shoot, Kent score, Kent State.

Ohio made sure that label applied to its in-state rivals this weekend, blowing out the Golden Flashes 9-1 Friday before taking a hard-fought 3-1 decision Saturday. The wins were the first for the Bobcats since Jan. 13, breaking a five-game losing skid during which they had scored just seven times.

It took less than two periods to match that seven Friday night in a game that was over almost as soon as it began. Ohio’s Jared Fuhs opened the scoring just 31 seconds in, and when Josh Fodor added another 28 seconds later, the rout was on.

Fifty-nine minutes and seven goals later Ohio had an overwhelming 9-1 win to tie its second-largest margin of victory this season.

The Bobcats outshot Kent State 47-11, as eight Bobcats recorded multiple points, led by Fuhs’ goal and three assists. The senior centered a line with wingers Jay Mazzarella (three assists) and Jonathan Pietramala (two goals) that coach Dan Morris had assembled just last week.

“It’s actually been very successful so far,” Fuhs said of the new line. “It’s pretty easy to play with those guys because they play the same style as me. They’ll just grind it out and work hard down low and we’ll get some goals.”

Saturday’s game was tougher sledding for the Bobcats, as a determined Kent State squad utilized a neutral-zone trap to hold Ohio scoreless in the opening period.

But nifty craftsmanship from senior captain Michael Schultz broke the stalemate in the second period. Schultz beat the trap and carried the puck into the Flashes’ zone, then rifled a pass on to the stick of Nick Rostek for an easy tip-in goal and 1-0 lead.

That remained the difference deep into the third as the Bobcats continuously attacked the Flashes’ goal but were continually denied by goalie Zachary Nowak. It took a bit of luck for Ohio to get its second tally 13 minutes into the period, when a deflected Zack Barbis shot found its way to Mazzarella to slot home into an empty net.

Kent State scored to make things interesting with 2:14 remaining, but Ohio responded only 13 seconds later through John Luciana to put the series sweep on ice.

Though happy to get back in the win column, Morris said Saturday’s game showed his team had plenty to work on.

“We’re making strides, but we made some mistakes (Saturday) and we turned the puck over a lot,” he said. “We weren’t making the extra pass we needed to make. One guy skating through four guys, that’s not going to work.

With the wins, Ohio improved to 4-0 against Kent on the season, outscoring the Flashes by a combined 27-4.

That’s good news, as the Bobcats will take on the Golden Flashes for a fifth time next Friday in the first round of the Central States Collegiate Hockey League tournament, which will be held in Athens.

Morris said he expects a “mirror image” of Saturday’s contest next Friday, and Fuhs said he thought the close game Saturday, as opposed to another blow out, would help Ohio stay focused moving into the most important weekend of its season so far.

“It puts everyone in perspective,” Fuhs said. “We beat them 9-1 but the next night it’s completely new and they’re just a completely new team.

“Next week it’s going to be a lot bigger stage, so they’re going to be ready to play.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu