Hockey: Ohio's struggle continues on ice as tournaments loom in future

For an Ohio team in need of a U-turn, this week can only be described as urgent.

After going 3-4-1 during January, the Bobcats now have a little more than a week and only two games against Kent State remaining to turn the tide around before the Central States Collegiate Hockey League tournament comes to Athens Feb. 17.

A string of five straight losses has taken one of Ohio’s three main goals — a CSCHL regular-season title — off the table. Ohio locked up second place in the league, making this weekend’s contests inconsequential in the conference standings.

But in the big picture, the games could mean everything after Ohio dropped from fifth to sixth in the latest American Collegiate Hockey Association national rankings last Friday. Just one loss to the 24th-ranked Golden Flashes could see that ranking tumble further in the Feb. 17 rankings, which will determine seeding in the national tournament.

This weekend is the last chance for the Bobcats to strengthen that ranking and to get back in the win column for the first time in nearly a month.

And the team realizes what is on the line.

“We need to send a message this weekend that we’re top-tier in the country,” defensemen Zack Barbis said. “We need to prove we deserve to be ranked as high as we are, and these recent losses don’t reflect our progress as a team.”

Though this week’s preparation could be the most important of the season so far, coach Dan Morris said he didn’t think the level of intensity at practice would be too different than any other.

Part of that is because intensity and passion should be a given at this point in the season. But it’s also a tactical choice from a coach who knows that is still nearly a month left in the season for the team to accomplish its other two goals: league and national championships.

“It’s more of a day-to-day thing. You can’t just say ‘we start now’ and pound it out for the rest of the year,” Morris said. “You can’t raise the intensity and maintain it that long. You can’t keep them on edge that long — it’s impossible.”

Hockey Aide

Ohio split its two exhibition games against the American Cancer Society Ice Ghosts last weekend, dropping a 4-2 decision Friday before stepping on the gas and winning 9-1 Saturday.

In addition to raising hundreds of dollars to help fight cancer, Morris said he hoped the games would allow his current players to pick up a lesson or two from the mostly OU-alumni Ice Ghosts that featured some of Ohio’s best players from the last decade.

“I wanted the older guys to kind of be able to come in and teach, and I think that happened,” he said. “You saw it from night to night.” 

One player Morris was particularly excited to have back was Paul Marshall, the 2010 ACHA Player of the Year who played goaltender for the Ice Ghosts in both contests. With a pair of young goalies on the current roster, any lessons gleaned from the former Bobcat could be invaluable going forward.

“Just watching him and admiring his play: he’s smooth, his slides, his confidence, he’s just a real solid goaltender,” freshman goaltender Brendan Madden said. “He really showed us what you need to do to make the save, and yeah, I think everyone on this team could learn something from Paul Marshall.”

cd211209@ohiou.edu

Ohio’s remaining schedule

Feb. 10-11 vs. Kent State

Feb. 17-19 CSCHL tournament in Athens

Feb. 24-25 vs. Adrian

March 3-7 ACHA tournament in Strongsville, OH