Killin' 'em with Kindness: If you have confidence, everything will work out

The more I’m in Athens, the more I realize how ridiculous it is to be someone you don’t want to be.

We have every type of person here — every heritage, ethnicity, religion, race, anything. This is the one place in the world you don’t have to worry about peer pressure or fitting in. The choices you make are completely your own, and anyone who disagrees with you doesn’t matter.

You decide whom you want to hang out with. You decide whom you want to become. The only issue that some people have is confidence in themselves.

I have a Tumblr with which I re-blog fashion and inspiring quotes. I’m one of those girls that sees an outfit, buys it and then never wears it because I feel as if it won’t look as good on me.

Confidence is not an issue for me, though. I think it is more so that I’m afraid people will think I’m trying too hard or something along those lines.

Every once in a while I start to remind myself that it honestly doesn’t matter what I wear. The saying, “Those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind don’t matter,” falls under one of the truest sayings of the world. Confidence is key, and if you have it, you are set.

Confidence isn’t just about walking around knowing you look good. It is about taking care of your body and mind. It’s about knowing you are a good person who accepts others and realizes not everyone is going to be like you, and that’s OK.

Getting ideas and looking up to someone is completely fine. The issue is the people whom we’re looking up to might be in the real world physically, but they sure aren’t mentally or emotionally.

I try not to offend people in my writing only because I believe I try my hardest to look at things in both perspectives, but if your idol is Snooki, Paris Hilton or some ridiculous rapper, then I would suggest stepping into reality — because the real world does not revolve around the Hollywood lifestyle.

In reality, for the typical American’s lifestyle, no one has any say in anything you wear, do or say.

The choice is completely yours.

Followers seem to fall behind while leaders set an example. Be the example and be someone for another person to admire. No matter how big or small your family and friends are, there is always someone who thinks you are the coolest person in the world.

Don’t prove them wrong.

The main idea behind all this is that you have to realize it doesn’t matter what people think. If you know you are being an honest, caring and independent person, that is all that should matter.

Be whoever you want because, if you are happy and confident in who you are, everything else will fall into place. As for those clothes of mine that I am too scared to wear, I plan on wearing them every day this week with as much flamboyance as possible.

Meagan Dixon is a freshman studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. Chat about her outfits at md138610@ohiou.edu.