Reggie Keely, junior, slam dunks during the 2nd half of the UNC-Asheville game. The Bobcats won 81-62.

Men's Basketball: 'Cats outsmart 'Dogs to earn win

Following back-to-back losses to teams outside the Ratings Percentage Index top 200, many deemed Ohio’s ESPNU BracketBusters game against North Carolina-Asheville meaningless. But don’t tell that to Ohio coach John Groce or any of his players.

The Bobcats defeated the Bulldogs 81-62 in what was considered a statement win by both players and coach alike.

The Bobcats (21-6) were dissatisfied that they did not draw a higher-profile game when the matchups were announced last month, and guard Stevie Taylor said the team wanted to show that it deserved better.

“I was sitting there watching it in coach’s office,” Taylor said. “We can’t control that. We can only control how hard we play out there, but for me, this one kind of ate at me a little bit.”

The only  Mid-American Conference teams that took part in televised games both lost their BracketBuster matchups. Akron fell at Oral Roberts 67-61 while Buffalo was drubbed by South Dakota State, 86-65.

Though the win will not help the Bobcats in the conference standings, Groce said the team is focused on the bigger picture.

“No one in our locker room was thrilled with how we played the previous week,” Groce said. “We felt like we needed to take a step forward tonight. The last thing we wanted to do was piggy-back the Bowling Green game and take a step backwards, regardless of who we’re playing.”

Besides an uncharacteristic 23 turnovers, the Bobcats excelled in almost every other aspect of the game.

UNC-Asheville came into the game averaging more than 82 points per contest, the fourth-best total in the country, but was held to a season-low 62. The Bulldogs scored 75 points against then-top-ranked North Carolina earlier this season.

Ohio’s offense was just as good as its defense. The Bobcats shot 58 percent from the floor, including an incredible 74 percent in the second half. Ohio also made 10 of 21 3-point attempts.

Though the Bobcats posted their second-highest point total since conference play began, Groce said solid defense is what won the game.

“It starts with our defense,” he said. “There’s no question about that. That’s who we are in game 27.”

Now the Bobcats will look to build off Saturday’s win in four pivotal divisional games beginning at Buffalo on Wednesday. Three of the four games are against teams that currently sit ahead of Ohio in the MAC East standings. Three of the four games are also against teams that the Bobcats have previously beaten this season, but each of those wins came at home. Ohio will play all of those opponents on the road this time.

The Bobcats currently occupy fourth place in the East, but are only a game out of second place and a triple bye in the MAC Tournament next month.

Taylor said the team needs to bring the same effort and intensity it showed Saturday night to its final four regular-season games.

“Every game on our schedule is important,” Taylor said. “This was just the next game. Next game we’ve got to go to Buffalo and do the same thing.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu